Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 10-31-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
steve_biegler

Default One dealers voice

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...IL07/310319985

Doug is a friend of mine and a fantastic advocate for the small guy. I think he said what most of the small dealers would like to have said. I just wish someone would listen.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
DealerEx

Yep !! The factories have never understood that while people in large metro areas are used to the idea of corporations and businesses constantly building and /or upgrading perfectly good facilities (right now in Arlington TX, the Texas Rangers baseball team owners are going to push through a new city bond pkg. to build a totally new stadium, when they have a beautiful facility ..."The Ballpark in Arlington"...that is less than 20 years old). The current facility is not outdated or insufficient in an category, but The Cowboys just got a billion+ $ new facility called "The Star" paid for by a bond and commercial development deal, so now the Rangers management wants one too. The small rural dealerships deal with an entirely different dynamic. Just as Doug said, "everybody is in everybody's business" and when a dealer spends hundreds of thousands to millions of $$ upgrading his building, the customers look at it and say "Ol Joe is making waaaay too much money off all of us, if he can afford to blow that kind of money for no reason on a perfectly good building!!" They resent it and think he must be overcharging them. They don't understand that the dealer had no choice but to do it or get closed down....that doesn't seem possible to them.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:14 AM   #3
57years

Dittos as to the facility comments....

As to the Taxpayer Rip-off by franchised sports...it will never stop.

The bigger picture, the majority is paying themselves rewards out of the public treasury because THEY CAN.... We taxpayer-aka "achievers"- are the sheep to be sheared at the point of IRS gun. You can see there is frustration to the point of watching the achievers as they set up overseas second residences at faster and faster rate. The same as what John Galt did in ATLAS SHRUGGED.

I have a "Who is John Galt" bumper sticker on my truck for 8 years, I have been stopped ONE time and asked who he was. I salute the other time I was buying gas (at COSTCO) and a fella walked over to me and said what a great book, and how reflective of today it is....
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:02 AM   #4
Txflyer

Agree with all said above. Our rural facility (built to GM's specs) was only 11 years old when GM stole our franchise.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #5
DealerEx

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
Dittos as to the facility comments....

The same as what John Galt did in ATLAS SHRUGGED.

I have a "Who is John Galt" bumper sticker on my truck for 8 years, I have been stopped ONE time and asked who he was. I salute the other time I was buying gas (at COSTCO) and a fella walked over to me and said what a great book, and how reflective of today it is....
I first read Atlas Shrugged in my early 20's and quickly followed it with The Fountainhead, because they made such perfect sense to me. I have now watched for the last 35 years as we have slid faster and faster down that slippery slope to where those that produce nothing declare that it is the "moral duty" of those that do produce, to share the fruit of their labor with them. That it is "wrong and unfair" for those that do the best job in any particular field of endeavor to reap greater rewards just because they are able to out perform competitors.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:56 AM   #6
57years

Well said...Now some need not read the book!
57years is offline   Reply With Quote