Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 10-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default I guess the NADA wasn't totally useless afterall....

Those who have followed DealershipForum for any length of time will know exactly what I think about the National Automobile Dealers Association.

In my opinion the NADA made a strategic decision to favor the NEWCO dealers at the expense of the OLDCO dealers and they've ultimately failed to represent any of their members. As an organization whose main objective should be to support the collective interests of Dealer Principals I think the NADA has lost their way and rendered themselves impotent.

While the NADA may like to portray themselves as a pit-bull fighting for their members I'm convinced the OEMs view the NADA as a lap dog on Xanax.

You might be wondering what sparked my current rant - read this story about Stephan Wade's new dealership in St. George, UT and see if you don't have a similar reaction - click here
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default Message to Messrs. Spitzer, Fitzgerald and Ms. Darvish

Message to Messrs. Spitzer, Fitzgerald and Ms. Darvish:

While you probably won't be surprised to learn that in the NADA's world of revisionism they take credit for all the work done by the CRDR, you might be miffed that they don't even give you partial credit.

Apparently, in the eyes of the NADA the Committee to Restore Dealer Rights must have been an illusion because the NADA is taking 100% credit for getting Congress to pass legislation creating the Arbitration Process for OLDCO dealers.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Default Message to the NEWCO Dealers - We saved you too....

The NADA also wants to make sure the NEWCO dealer know that if it wasn't for their intervention more dealers would have been killed off.

Apparently it was the evil Obama Administration that wanted to kill-off the dealers and if it hadn't of been for the NADA the carnage would have been worse.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default Message to the Utahans....

For those who think that Stephan Wade took Painter's Chrysler Franchise for personal financial gain, you're all wrong.

No, Wade's motives for taking the gifted franchise was to protect his fellow Utahans from "outsiders" who wanted Painter's franchise. Wade's reasoning seems to be that he had to take Painter's franchise so that another dealer group from Nevada or California wouldn't get it.

And here I thought he did it for personal gain. Hell, Wade's such a great guy I bet he's willing to give Painter his franchise back - as one Utahan to another.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
JoeRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
For those who think that Stephan Wade took Painter's Chrysler Franchise for personal financial gain, you're all wrong.

No, Wade's motives for taking the gifted franchise was to protect his fellow Utahans from "outsiders" who wanted Painter's franchise. Wade's reasoning seems to be that he had to take Painter's franchise so that another dealer group from Nevada or California wouldn't get it.

And here I thought he did it for personal gain. Hell, Wade's such a great guy I bet he's willing to give Painter his franchise back - as one Utahan to another.
I almost missed the sarcasm. Glad I didn't because I agree.
JoeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
Jeff Duvall

Lower than whale sh!t
Jeff Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
possum

Someday.....................
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRocket View Post
I almost missed the sarcasm. Glad I didn't because I agree.
Thank you for pointing out my sarcasm - I can see how someone who might be new to the forum wouldn't pick up on my rant and would think I was serious.

As you can probably tell, I was fuming when I was typing those posts. Two of my top pet peeves are people/organizations that take credit for something they didn't do and revisionism.

Concerning revisionism, I think the reason I hate it so much is because it works. Most Americans have short memories and if the NADA says they were fighting for the OLDCO dealers it must be true.

Well, it's not true. It's a huge ass lie. The NADA did nothing for the OLDCO dealers except find ways for their leaders to profit from their demise. If it wasn't for the CRDR the OLDCO dealers would have been left with no support at all. While most of the 789 Chrysler OLDCO dealers still got screwed at least there was a favorable outcome for hundreds of GM OLDCO dealers.

When I think of the NADA and what how they supported the OLDCO dealers, all I can think of is Ed Tonkin's quote when he rolled over and told GM and Chrysler that the NADA was done fighting - "You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube."
Old 10-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Duvall View Post
Lower than whale sh!t
I was thinking of you when I was reading that article.

You've done an admirable job of keeping the Painter's loss on the front burner so people wouldn't forget what happened and who profited from Painter's termination.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
G8Girl

Quote:
You might be wondering what sparked my current rant - read this story about Stephan Wade's new dealership in St. George, UT and see if you don't have a similar reaction - click here
Wow!! After reading that article- I honestly thought my head was going to explode!! It is unbelievable how completely WRONG and biased this article is. I can't believe there is NO mention of CRDR- and how Wade & Bailey Wood give ALL credit to NADA for "fighting" for the terminated dealers & passing arbitration legislation.

Quote:

Again, completely unbelievable the "spin" Wade tries to put on his benefiting from the Painter's termination- and the interjection from the writer regarding Wade's demeanor when talking about the Painter termination- "'There’s a lot of emotion over this,' Wade said........He paused thoughtfully and continued, 'It wasn’t right, they were in control – they, the franchisor.....'" Seriously??

I noticed there was an "Editor’s Update" on Oct. 6: "In response to our invitation, St. George News is in communication with authorized representative of Painter’s and will be publishing a sequel to this story, as that source material is developed."

I look forward to reading the response from the Painter's....that is IF they print the TRUE & unedited response from the Painter family and not some water-downed version.
G8Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8Girl View Post
Wow!! After reading that article- I honestly thought my head was going to explode!! It is unbelievable how completely WRONG and biased this article is. I can't believe there is NO mention of CRDR- and how Wade & Bailey Wood give ALL credit to NADA for "fighting" for the terminated dealers & passing arbitration legislation.
I had the exact same reaction when I was reading the story - that's why my first posts to this thread were thick with ridicule and sarcasm.

In defense of the author of the newspaper report, I think she was just reporting what she was told. I doubt she'd ever heard of the CRDR because Wade never mentioned anything about the organization.

Sadly one of my biggest frustrations with revisionism is it works unless others go out of their way to put historical events in an accurate light.

Quote:
I noticed there was an "Editor’s Update" on Oct. 6: "In response to our invitation, St. George News is in communication with authorized representative of Painter’s and will be publishing a sequel to this story, as that source material is developed."

I look forward to reading the response from the Painter's....that is IF they print the TRUE & unedited response from the Painter family and not some water-downed version.
Thanks for the update - I hadn't noticed that the report in newspaper was updated and there will be a sequel.

Hopefully Painter will be able to give his side of the story and put the whole mess in perspective.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #12
Jeff Duvall

Don't worry, it's coming....I have been communicating with the Painter family since this story was first posted here. If the Author does her job Wades true color (moist brown) will be exposed.

Last edited by Jeff Duvall; 10-12-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Jeff Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Duvall View Post
Don't worry, it's coming....I have been communicating with the Painter family since this story was first posted here. If the Author does her job Wades true color (moist brown) will be exposed.
Thanks for the update - I'm happy to hear that the other side of the story may be told.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
It's been two weeks since the "Editor's Update" indicating there would be a sequel to this story - I wonder if they're still working on the story or whether I missed it?

Hopefully the Painter's side of the story will still be told.