Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 11-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Chrysler sales fall by 35% for October

We all knew that October was going to be a tough month for car sales and the information released today simply verifies what we already knew.

October, 2008 will go on record as being the worse month for Industry Car Sales since February, 1983 - 25 years ago.

Chrysler finished the month down 35% - actually a little better than most analysts had forecast. The news is more interesting when you compare how each of Chrysler's brands fared for the month:
  • Chrysler off 51%
  • Jeep off 33%
  • Dodge off 27%
Here's a link to a news report that breaks down the sales on a model line basis: http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...er-automakers/
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default What's up with the Dodge Dakota?

I've noticed that the Dakota has been selling poorly over the past few months. It's down 70% this month with less than 1,000 units sold across the country.

Is this a product issue, an inventory issue or an incentive issue?

I remember in the old days the Dakota used to be a volume piece for some dealerships. The old 2.5 liter Dakota with a manual transmission was an "ad unit" that could be sold in volume - it was a great little truck for a lot of people.

It was like the old 22T minivans - they were fantastic vehicles for the money. Another example of an "ad unit" that a dealer could sell in volume.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
mopar4life

Dodge got too expensive & has forced consumer's into features they don't care about regardless of the bling. We need our "throw-away" or ad cars back. The standard equipment list is growing too large therefore the overall M.S.R.P. is soaring. We need our Omni back Lee Iacocca (ha ha), history does & should repeat itself.
mopar4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:46 AM   #4
dafuzz1956

[QUOTE=mopar4life;2209]Dodge got too expensive & has forced consumer's into features they don't care about regardless of the bling. We need our "throw-away" or ad cars back. The standard equipment list is growing too large therefore the overall M.S.R.P. is soaring. We need our Omni back Lee Iacocca (ha ha), history does & should repeat itself.[/QUOTE

I think the key to that statement is WE NEED LEE BACK or someone with oil running through their veins. These "business people" ruining (oops) running our industry have no real concept of what the hell is going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dafuzz1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:01 AM   #5
ssdd

also on the Dakota the 40% off deal on 1500's killed Dakota sales. who would pay more for less truck...
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar4life View Post
Dodge got too expensive & has forced consumer's into features they don't care about regardless of the bling. We need our "throw-away" or ad cars back. The standard equipment list is growing too large therefore the overall M.S.R.P. is soaring. We need our Omni back Lee Iacocca (ha ha), history does & should repeat itself.
I totally agree.

Although I realize that the factory makes a larger margin on a $25K vehicle than they do on a $15K vehicle, not every wants or needs a fully loaded vehicle.

Additionally, dealers need a low end vehicle to promote and advertise.

It's interesting that you mention Iacocca - he really understood retail and advertising. When the economy was bad he came up the the "America" package and pitched it on TV. The ads generated traffic and sold vehicles.

By contrast, I watch the Dodge's current commercials on the 2009 Ram and just shake my head in disbelief - do these people actually think those ads will help sell trucks?
Old 11-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdd View Post
also on the Dakota the 40% off deal on 1500's killed Dakota sales. who would pay more for less truck...
That makes sense.

The Dakota has really lost its way - it's too big and too expensive.

Back when a Nissan/Chrysler merger was looked upon as the most likely outcome I had read that Chrysler would kill off the Dakota and re-badge Nissan's small truck. Who knows what will happen now?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
dafuzz1956

That commercial could be seen as a stunt man recruiter commercial more that selling any truck. And that techno Lincoln MKS commercial is not about selling any cars, at least not yet here.
dafuzz1956 is offline   Reply With Quote