Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 01-03-2015, 08:42 AM   #16
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
Ohio State did play quite well. Although I am from the midwest I try to be as anti-Ohio State as possible, but when it comes down to being our much-beleaguered conference's only hope in the playoff, I guess I have to root for them!
I have the same situation when it comes to the Oregon Ducks - I only root for them if it's for the betterment of the PAC12 - otherwise I'm rooting against them.

Quote:
Although Michigan State did show some mettle in their win over Baylor in the Cotton Bowl. It was also good to see the Cotton Bowl as a major bowl relative to how it has been for the last decade. Two top 10 teams and covered on ESPN... for the longest time is was just pushed to the side and put on Fox!
I didn't watch the Cotton Bowl but it looks like it was a great game.

I heard the TV ratings for the Rose Bowl were fantastic - I'm betting there would be a lot of interest in an eight team playoff in the future. Maybe the Cotton Bowl would be one of the top six playoff bowls?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:16 PM   #17
AR2

Quote:
Ohio State did play quite well. Although I am from the midwest I try to be as anti-Ohio State as possible, but when it comes down to being our much-beleaguered conference's only hope in the playoff, I guess I have to root for them!

Although Michigan State did show some mettle in their win over Baylor in the Cotton Bowl. It was also good to see the Cotton Bowl as a major bowl relative to how it has been for the last decade. Two top 10 teams and covered on ESPN... for the longest time is was just pushed to the side and put on Fox!
I'm also from the Midwest and don't care about thee Ohio State University, but they did what they had to do to win. They even won with a third-string quarterback!

With the news of Jim Harbaugh coming to Michigan, it looks like the battle for Big 10 supremacy will either go through tOSU or UM. All the other Big 10 schools will be playing for second fiddle.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #18
mryan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
I'm also from the Midwest and don't care about thee Ohio State University, but they did what they had to do to win. They even won with a third-string quarterback!

With the news of Jim Harbaugh coming to Michigan, it looks like the battle for Big 10 supremacy will either go through tOSU or UM. All the other Big 10 schools will be playing for second fiddle.
tOSU and UM will definitely battle for the most press coverage over the off season... as for on the field, I think tOSU will still reign supreme in the Big Ten East for a while. Michigan will get it together, but I think it's a few years out.

I was actually born in Ann Arbor, so I wish all the best for Harbaugh but I'm not that much of a maize and blue follower.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #19
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
I was actually born in Ann Arbor, so I wish all the best for Harbaugh but I'm not that much of a maize and blue follower.
It will be interesting to see how Harbaugh does and how much patience the UM faithful will provide him.

Is it possible for a coach who was about to be fired at the NFL level to go back to the NCAA level and succeed? It's happened before....
Old 01-09-2015, 09:18 PM   #20
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
It will be interesting to see how Harbaugh does and how much patience the UM faithful will provide him.

Is it possible for a coach who was about to be fired at the NFL level to go back to the NCAA level and succeed? It's happened before....
I work with a guy that was born and raised in Michigan and he was as excited as can be about this hire. He doesn't think Michigan is that far off now (personnel-wise) and with Harbaugh in the mix, he thinks Michigan will start bringing in big-time recruits almost right away. One never knows in today's college football world, but my co-workers does think having a former NFL coach walk into a recruit's front door will pay big dividends.

I think the UM faithful will give Harbaugh a couple of years, but if he can't bring Michigan to the top of the college football hierarchy and beat tOSU on an annual basis, they will probably turn on him real quick. Nothing is guaranteed, but I have a feel UM will be right back at the top with Harbaugh.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:52 PM   #21
XDCX
Administrator

Smile Looking forward to tonight's National Championship Game

While my last prediction in this thread failed miserably, I'm predicting that Oregon will beat Ohio State and secure the first National Championship in the playoff era.

While I'd love to see Oregon blow-out Ohio State my bet is it will be a hard fought game and Oregon's up-tempo offense and excellent half-time adjustments will make the difference.

Typically I'm not an Oregon fan but in this case I'm just supporting a PAC-12 team.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #22
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
While my last prediction in this thread failed miserably, I'm predicting that Oregon will beat Ohio State and secure the first National Championship in the playoff era.
Well, so much for that prediction....

While I wanted the Oregon Ducks to win I have to hand it to the Ohio State Buckeyes - they played an outstanding game and definitely deserved the win.

On the plus side, I LOVE the fact that the new Playoff System allowed the number four seed team to win the National Championship - that's something the old BCS couldn't have done. (With the BCS the National Championship game would have been between Alabama and Oregon - Ohio State, as the #4 seed, would have been left out of the big game.)

I'd still love to see an eight game playoff that shortened the time between the last regular season game and the first bowl game but I'm happy with the new Playoff System at this point.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #23
mryan55

As a midwesterner I'm surprised -- the Big Ten actually showed up on the highest level! I expected a blowout on Oregon's favor.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #24
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
As a midwesterner I'm surprised -- the Big Ten actually showed up on the highest level! I expected a blowout on Oregon's favor.
I agree. Not only did Ohio State look tough the performance of their former "third string" quarterback was stunning.

Ohio State is a young team with a lot of talent returning next year - it will be interesting to see if they'll be contenders for the next National Championship.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #25
tnpartsguy

Default Bowls?

But a few of the bowls were confusing. University Of TN (Knox) got a bowl after one of the crappiest records in the SEC 7w - 6L??? How?

Of course, even Vandy got a bowl...with a even worse record!!

Do the bowl games even matter anymore, or they just a way for the NCAA to make more money?
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #26
mryan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
But a few of the bowls were confusing. University Of TN (Knox) got a bowl after one of the crappiest records in the SEC 7w - 6L??? How?

Of course, even Vandy got a bowl...with a even worse record!!

Do the bowl games even matter anymore, or they just a way for the NCAA to make more money?
Certainly a cash grab to some extent! With the addition of the new playoff system they actually added a few bowl games this year. Here in the midwest, I know that Bowling Green played in the Camellia Bowl, which is back for the first time in over two decades... and for the first time ever as a D1 bowl.

Michigan was only one win away from a 6-6 record and a bowl game... Tennessee may have not been all that worthy of a bowl, but certainly more than Michigan would have been if they eeked out a final week win over Ohio State.