Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 07-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default What vehicles will Marchionne kill-off?

I give Marchionne and his team high praise for saving the PT Cruiser - now the question is what vehicles will his team kill-off?

I've read that the Caliber SRT-4 is already dead, what's next?
  • Jeep Compass
  • Jeep Commander
  • Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Avenger
  • Dodge Nitro/Jeep Liberty
Based on what I've read it sounds like Chrysler will have a "road-map" of what it's showrooms will look like by the end of the month.

Any predictions on which vehicles get killed-off?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Txflyer

My guess would be at minimum the Compass, Patriot, Sebring, Avenger & Caliber.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Default Dodge Dakota - only 645 units sold in June

I just noticed that Chrysler only sold 645 Dodge Dakotas last month - they have to be losing money on that vehicle with those sales volumes.

It's too bad, I still remember when the 4 Cylinder Regular Cab Dakota was a volume unit for many stores. It was a great value and a fantastic entry level vehicle.

I'd better stop before I start my "where are the ad units" rant....
Old 07-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
birch3x

The 010 Vehicle order system currently has no Durango / Aspen / Compass / Patriot / Caliber showing at all. Maybe they're late to show, but it seems that our least expensive, better fuel economy cars that have been selling would be there...??
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
SHACOS
Super Moderator

The SRT division was the only part of Chrysler that ever kept me interested. But, I'm guessing with the focus on being more green (which is good, but..) and taking the fun out of cars, I'm going to say SRT is going to the wayside.

Also, the Commander has to be at the top of that eliminate list, no?
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce View Post
The 010 Vehicle order system currently has no Durango / Aspen / Compass / Patriot / Caliber showing at all. Maybe they're late to show, but it seems that our least expensive, better fuel economy cars that have been selling would be there...??
Well we know that the Durango and Aspen are done, but it will be interesting to see what they do with the Compass, Patriot and Caliber.

While the Compass only sold 967 units last month, the Patriot and Caliber did 2,765 and 3,538 respectively. Collectively, that accounts for 10.6% of Chrysler's sales - hard to imagine they'd just walk away from that volume.

I hope the Compass/Patriot/Caliber represent Chrysler's low point in styling, design and refinement. They really are second-rate vehicles.

That said, you can't sell what you don't have and fresh units from the Fiat Alliance are still 18 - 24 months away.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
The SRT division was the only part of Chrysler that ever kept me interested. But, I'm guessing with the focus on being more green (which is good, but..) and taking the fun out of cars, I'm going to say SRT is going to the wayside.

Also, the Commander has to be at the top of that eliminate list, no?
Concerning SRT Division, you may be correct. The SRT-4 is dead, the Viper is on the Short List and the future for the Grand Cherokee SRT-8 is unclear.

That only leaves the 300, Charger and Challenger - hardly enough to support a performance division.

Concerning the Commander, I couldn't agree more. I've hated that vehicle from day one. Chrysler made the Jeep dealers wait a decade for a seven passenger SUV and then they gave them the Commander - that was just cruel.

That said, even with a paltry 628 units last month, the Commander remains in the Code Guide and it appears it will live in 2010. (Hopefully Marchionne will kill it.)
Old 07-10-2009, 07:26 AM   #8
SHACOS
Super Moderator

The Dakota sold more than the Commander. Maybe they just need to wipe the slate clean and start all over.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
possum

Our Commander customers actually liked them. My daughter has one, and loves it! But, we never did sell a massive number of them.

The Challenger, 300, Charger, Wrangler, and Truck are the only things Chrysler actually has. There is no product in the pipeline, and Fiat.....well.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
Txflyer

They'd better keep the Commander for awhile - it's the only 3 row full-sized sport utility they offer. We haven't sold many of them, but I kind of like them. 3rd row is useless for adults, but it is a nice larger 2 row + baggage traveling vehicle.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:03 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
They'd better keep the Commander for awhile - it's the only 3 row full-sized sport utility they offer. We haven't sold many of them, but I kind of like them. 3rd row is useless for adults, but it is a nice larger 2 row + baggage traveling vehicle.
Wow, I had to think about that for a couple of seconds. You're right, now that the Durango and Aspen are gone the only seven seat SUV that Chrysler has is the Commander.
Concerning my hatred of the Commander, it's 100% related to the exterior design. I know it's a capable vehicle, I just think it's "aesthetically challenged."
Old 07-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
There is no product in the pipeline, and Fiat.....well.
For me, that was the biggest surprise when I first read Chrysler's "Viability Plan." With the exception of the Grand Cherokee and the re-skinning of the 300 and Charger, Chrysler's pipeline is empty.

It seems clear that Cerberus didn't spend a dime on product development - it's like they knew Chrysler was only going to be a short term investment for them.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #13
gingersnap

We do not sell alot of NEW commander's but sell alot of used ones and people love them even Gr cher buyers like them better.
gingersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:36 AM   #14
birch3x

Going back in not-so-ancient hisory we sold the most amount of volume when we had SWB minivans (some 4 cyl), Reg cab Dakota, basic 4 cyl Wranglers, less expensive Full size Trucks, 35 MPG cheap cars, and B-Vans. And at the same time the quality of the lineup is porobably the best it's ever been. Seems to be price driven up here.
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #15
Granch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersnap View Post
We do not sell alot of NEW commander's but sell alot of used ones and people love them even Gr cher buyers like them better.
Same here...used , especially ltds dont last here. sell maybe 6 new a year...

maybe they can just build used ones for us
Granch is offline   Reply With Quote