Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 09-16-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Has anyone updated to Windows 10 yet?

I'm curious to hear if anyone has updated to Windows 10 yet and if so what their thoughts were on the update.

I run two laptops - one that's fairly new that I never get prompted to update to Windows 10 and another older laptop that always gets Windows 10 reminders.

The older laptop runs Windows 8 and it's really slowed down over the years - I'm reluctant to upgrade to Windows 10 because I don't want to make a bad situation worse.

The newer laptop would probably have no problem with the Windows 10 upgrade but I haven't investigated the upgrade process since I don't get the upgrade reminders on that laptop.

From what I've read in the media, it seems that most people are happy with the Windows 10 update.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
mr4t60e

I upgraded to Windows 10 and couldn't be happier with it on my personal PC. I skipped Win 8 after hearing all the bad things about it.
mr4t60e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #3
tnpartsguy

I did it on my home PC's and loved it at 1st, but it's reverted to the WIN8 style screen, and I'm not a fan.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:24 PM   #4
DealerEx

I ordered a new laptop from Dell last month specifically because I could still specify Windows 7 Professional operating system until the middle of August. I knew I didn't want 8 or 8.1 and didn't want to go to 10 until it had been out on a shakedown cruise for awhile.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
I did it on my home PC's and loved it at 1st, but it's reverted to the WIN8 style screen, and I'm not a fan.
Thanks for the feedback - that's mostly why I'm waiting to see of I really want the upgrade.

Are you going to switch back to your old OS or are you going to stick with Windows 10?
Old 09-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
I ordered a new laptop from Dell last month specifically because I could still specify Windows 7 Professional operating system until the middle of August. I knew I didn't want 8 or 8.1 and didn't want to go to 10 until it had been out on a shakedown cruise for awhile.
That's a smart call.

I need to update my large laptop one of these days and have been waiting to hear reviews on Windows 10.

I'm also somewhat torn on whether I want a laptop that has a touchscreen. While I love having a touchscreen on my smartphone I can't really envision using it that often on a laptop. (And I think the fingerprints on the screen may drive the OCD side of my personality insane. )
Old 09-21-2015, 07:48 AM   #7
tnpartsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Thanks for the feedback - that's mostly why I'm waiting to see of I really want the upgrade.

Are you going to switch back to your old OS or are you going to stick with Windows 10?
I'm sticking with 10, but I'm going to find a way to get a decent desktop.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #8
57years

Just as a word of caution, and I am an "antique"...

years ago, I upgraded my Windows desktop operating system, (which was also running ADP software). ADP had to come in and reinstall the older operating system because their software was not "compatible" or "certified tested" to operate with the new OS.
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:30 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
Just as a word of caution, and I am an "antique"...

years ago, I upgraded my Windows desktop operating system, (which was also running ADP software). ADP had to come in and reinstall the older operating system because their software was not "compatible" or "certified tested" to operate with the new OS.
Thanks for the post.

You make a great point that any upgrades to the Dealership's PCs should only be done if you're certain the new OS is supported my your DMS and OEM.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:42 AM   #10
tnpartsguy

The ones I've updated are my personal PC and laptop at home. Being that GM never certified Win8, it will be years before they certify W10.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:42 PM   #11
mryan55

As of right now, ERA and Ignite are no-goes for Windows 10.

However, I did upgrade my Surface Pro that I use when I travel. Windows 10 is pretty smooth so far. There are some quirks with the Chrome browser that are not yet addressed, but I'm sure they will be. Those issues are on Google's end though.

Microsoft Edge, the replacement for Internet Explorer is pretty slick though.

Really, outside of work I don't need much more than a web browser, so I do almost everything at home on my Chromebook. 8 hour battery life and snappy even at a few years old.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
Microsoft Edge, the replacement for Internet Explorer is pretty slick though.
Thanks for the information - that might be the motivation I need to upgrade. While I'm a bit of a Google fan-boy I never dropped IE in favor of Chrome. I know IE is pretty dated and I'm looking forward to trying Microsoft's Edge before I decide whether I want to switch to Chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
Really, outside of work I don't need much more than a web browser, so I do almost everything at home on my Chromebook. 8 hour battery life and snappy even at a few years old.
I've thought about getting a Chromebook just to see if I'd like a laptop that runs on a non-Windows OS.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:01 PM   #13
tnpartsguy

I got a chromebook for the techs to use to access the tool website.... don't bother...they are too slow, and too small. The font was horrible, and the screen wouldn't get bright enough to read under fluorescent lights. No resolution adjustment, no brightness adjustment. This was a $399 Samsung. I grabbed a used 5 yr old Levano that was coming out of service from sales because it was still on XP, and it works better than the C-book
Old 09-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #14
mryan55

I've never tried the Chromebook for anything dealership related, but it is good for putting around on the internet. I have had two -- one was a $199 affair back in 2012, the newer one is a year old, 14" screen, 16 GB solid state memory, nothing too crazy performance wise but good at home.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

Default Just updated my secondary laptop to Windows 10

I typically use two laptops and spend the majority of my time on my 17" Dell and far less time on my 14" ThinkPad. The ThinkPad is usually just the computer I take when I travel.

Since I don't rely too heavily on the ThinkPad I figured I'd upgrade it to Windows 10 to see if I liked the new OS.

The installation of Windows 10 went smoothly but took a fair bit longer than I would have expected. I'm typing this post on my ThinkPad with Windows 10 and everything is working fine.

My first impressions are favorable but I am a creature of habit and it will take me awhile to get used to the new OS.