Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
gingersnap

Default Bad rap for jeep dealers

I watced the today show this a.m. where they took a Jeep to 5 different Jeep dealers and got 5 different results. for an AC problem. You have to see it and watch I could not find the link to post it on here.
gingersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersnap View Post
You have to see it and watch I could not find the link to post it on here.
I'll do some digging later today when I'm caught up and see if I can find the link.

I wonder if there's a reason why the Today Show picked on Jeep and the Jeep dealers?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
gingersnap

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...42689#44942689

Here is the link. Hope it works, if not you can copy and paste to address bar.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
steve_biegler

Link worked great, interesting that Jeep says they made changes 2 years ago that should have stopped this. Lets see......what happened two years ago 789 good dealers went away.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
March88toDecember05

Default Not as bad as you think...

I saw the entire story on the Today show this morning...there is more to come by the way, tomorrow they will do the same thing at Name Reair Shops, e.g., Aamco, Meineke, Midas. Anyway, my thought when I saw the teaser was, uh-oh...but then after seeing the story, there was only one out of five dealers that out-and-out tried to screw the customer. Overall though, it was not too bad for dealers, though the correspondent could have done a better more clear job of explaining that the total repair bill at a dealer on average is higher because of the dealer's higher on-average labor rate.

Customers are not stupid...they will take this story with a grain of salt and recognize that the 4 of the dealers is not like the other crook.
March88toDecember05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
mr4t60e

Quote:
Originally Posted by March88toDecember05 View Post
Customers are not stupid...they will take this story with a grain of salt and recognize that the 4 of the dealers is not like the other crook.
I'm not so sure. There are is a certain subset of customers I've dealt with in the service lane that think you are out to empty their wallets and raid their 401k every visit. (These people usually roll in for their oil change every 15k miles with bald tires and several bulbs out. This attitude seems to be more common with the domestic brands than it does with the imports- I had a lot easier job selling PM service to Honda and BMW customers than I did with GM customers.) It is so easy to be completely ignorant of how a car works, and thus be afraid of it, that more and more people are getting paranoid about getting screwed over.

That being said, all I know is that I've never been complicit in selling repairs that weren't needed...nor have I ever worked at a dealer where doing that was acceptable.
mr4t60e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
gingersnap

After watching today's segment it REALLY does make the Jeep dealer look bad at least I think. Something as an industry we DO NOT NEED.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

I watched the segment in the link in post #3 and thought it made the Jeep dealers look pretty bad - especially the one who told the customer the A/C compressor "exploded" and needed to be replaced.

I still wonder why the reporter decided to do their story with a Jeep - I don't get the impression that Chrysler has any issues that make their dealers better or worse when it comes to up-selling retail repairs. I bet similar results would be found if the reporters would have used a Toyota or a BMW.

I don't know much about the area where the dealers are located - is it in an area where the rent factors would be high?
Old 10-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
gingersnap

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I watched the segment in the link in post #3 and thought it made the Jeep dealers look pretty bad - especially the one who told the customer the A/C compressor "exploded" and needed to be replaced.

I still wonder why the reporter decided to do their story with a Jeep - I don't get the impression that Chrysler has any issues that make their dealers better or worse when it comes to up-selling retail repairs. I bet similar results would be found if the reporters would have used a Toyota or a BMW.

I don't know much about the area where the dealers are located - is it in an area where the rent factors would be high?
rent factors would be VERY HIGH where they were.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
rent factors would be VERY HIGH where they were.
I was thinking that when they were naming off areas near New York City but I'm not that familiar with the area so I wasn't sure about the real estate costs.

In some ways the high rent factors explains why the dealers are more likely to offer additional services. I wonder if the "investigation" would have yielded different results if they tested dealers in other areas where the rent factors were closer to the norm?
Old 10-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #11
DealerEx

IT definitely made the dealers look bad...and like most anything else, the one bad apple spoils the whole barrel. They all identified the problem correctly, but they all tried to upsell something...all but one, tried to upsell alot. Most people that saw it won't be able to tell their friends 2 days later exactly what the others did, but will summarize it to them along the lines of "man, those dealers are just a bunch of crooks and con artists...all that was wrong was a "$20 relay thingie" and they tried to rip'em off for $2,000 bucks!!" THAT'S what will stick in everyone's mind.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
After watching today's segment it REALLY does make the Jeep dealer look bad at least I think. Something as an industry we DO NOT NEED.
I tried to find the link to this clip this morning but couldn't find it on the Today website. If you have a link to the clip it would be great if you could add it to this thread.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
steve_biegler

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...310249986/1400
Nothing new. Auto news just had an article.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote