Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default $195 pack on New Cars for Nitrogen

I was on the road Sunday and rolling through Las Vegas so I decided to stop at Towbin Dodge and check things out.

The first surprise was that they and most of the surrounding stores were closed on a Sunday. I noticed this once before when I was in Vegas but I assumed it was just a seasonal thing.

The second surprise was to see that Towbin added a window sticker next to the Monroney which included a $195 charge for Nitrogen on all their new cars. They changed all the inflation caps on the tires with one that indicated the tires were inflated with Nitrogen.

Has anyone else seen this or is it just a Las Vegas thing? I get the impression that inflating tires with Nitrogen was mostly a fad and I'd think Towbin would get some resistance from their customers. Who knows, maybe it's a negotiation tool?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
79LilRedExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I was on the road Sunday and rolling through Las Vegas so I decided to stop at Towbin Dodge and check things out.

The first surprise was that they and most of the surrounding stores were closed on a Sunday. I noticed this once before when I was in Vegas but I assumed it was just a seasonal thing.

The second surprise was to see that Towbin added a window sticker next to the Monroney which included a $195 charge for Nitrogen on all their new cars. They changed all the inflation caps on the tires with one that indicated the tires were inflated with Nitrogen.

Has anyone else seen this or is it just a Las Vegas thing? I get the impression that inflating tires with Nitrogen was mostly a fad and I'd think Towbin would get some resistance from their customers. Who knows, maybe it's a negotiation tool?
It's getting more and more popular esp in areas where the temp fluctuates alot.
It helps stop getting TPM lights-on complaints.

At one point a few years ago the State of PA was offering dealers who purchased the Nitrogen machines a rebate.
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
CUD

They must be good if they can get people to pay $195 for air. Considering the air we breathe is almost 80% nitrogen alreay.....

Just never made sense to me.
CUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I've seen it being offered by dealers here in the Denver area. I thought it was a fad too. $195 gets a sales person a commission payment. Maybe their hoping to sneak it in without the buyer noticing?
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
lsx only

if we operated the way they do on tv we would last about one week,u cant treat people from the country like that i would be shot.
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
Txflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx only View Post
if we operated the way they do on tv we would last about one week,u cant treat people from the country like that i would be shot.
Same here. It's a whole different world.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress View Post
It's getting more and more popular esp in areas where the temp fluctuates alot.
It helps stop getting TPM lights-on complaints.

At one point a few years ago the State of PA was offering dealers who purchased the Nitrogen machines a rebate.
Thanks for the feedback - it's nice to know Nitrogen has some true benefits that offer value to the customer.

I didn't know much about the benefit of Nitrogen but got the impression it was a fad based on the number of ads I used to see in Automotive News selling equipment. (It seemed like there was a surge of ads about two years ago and hardly any lately.)
Old 05-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
I've seen it being offered by dealers here in the Denver area. I thought it was a fad too. $195 gets a sales person a commission payment. Maybe their hoping to sneak it in without the buyer noticing?
I was thinking it might be a negotiation tool where the dealer lets the customer "win" and they get the $195 Nitrogen service for free. I remember working with a dealer who always liked to have a few "throw-aways" he could offers as tokens during the negotiation process.

As before, I don't know much about the Nitrogen systems but isn't the cost of sale pretty close to zero once the dealer owns the machine?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #9
79LilRedExpress

It keeps the customer coming back to the service dept for top offs and new tires... the $195 fee probably inc's free pressure checks and re-fills.

At that point all you have invested in a couple of tenths of time.

Not to memtion you will get a shot at more service dept up-sells.

I would think at some point the factory will stat putting it in all new cars.

Remember when we made money putting on pin stripes and body side mouldings ?
Old 05-18-2010, 05:16 AM   #10
CUD

Memory Lane....pin stripes, side mouldings and vinyl roofs
CUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress View Post
I would think at some point the factory will stat putting it in all new cars.
That's a great thought. In fact, I'm surprised none of the OEMs have done it already and then highlighted the fuel saving benefits in their advertising. From an OEM's standpoint I bet Nitrogen would add almost nothing to the cost of the vehicle - less than $1/car would be my guess.

We'd better hope the Chrysler trolls don't read this thread or they'll start inflating their tires with Nitrogen and then force the dealers to buy a $4,000 machine from PSE.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
79LilRedExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
That's a great thought. In fact, I'm surprised none of the OEMs have done it already and then highlighted the fuel saving benefits in their advertising. From an OEM's standpoint I bet Nitrogen would add almost nothing to the cost of the vehicle - less than $1/car would be my guess.

We'd better hope the Chrysler trolls don't read this thread or they'll start inflating their tires with Nitrogen and then force the dealers to buy a $4,000 machine from PSE.
Oh S#*T !!!

Quick... Change my name and move this to Area51 !!! lol