Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Service

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #31
JoeRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedOpsGuy View Post
It's not a matter of "who's responsible". Believe me; I've fought the fight that you are stating. I've been a part's manager and currently fixed ops director. But, a wise owner told me once... your return on investment is only as good as the security measures that are in place to protect your capital, whatever that might be. In this case, productivity suffers if the capital (special tools) are not readily available at the time of need. It's not the value of the tool, it's the protection of that investment that matters.

To your point, a nominated person in the shop could have control of the tool room, monitor the tools, inventory the tools, maintain a log, etc. And, that person, or persons, could be held liable for missing tool(s). We could go as far as having them reimburse the company for missing tools, have a "write-up" of the employee, and ultimately "termination". But, that only puts the "blame" on someone.

We'll just have to "agree to disagree" on that logic.

That said, I will agree with you that it's a losing battle. What's done is what's easiest to do. And we all know that "easy" and "right" don't often hold hands and take long walks on the beach together...
JoeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #32
bos

JoeRocket
You have to look at as who is your BEST CUSTOMER. I would say it is your own DEALERSHIP, service and new/used car sales. If you have to stock and keep track of special tools for your dealership that will help them fix more vehicles and sell more parts (that will benifit your bottomline) then do it. The used car dept. If you have to find used parts to make the deal a money maker then do it. The accesories dept, make it easier on the salesperson trying to sell add-ons.The whole dealership network is based upon a TEAM network. Be part of it. You can't be looking for a payback for every thing you do. You will make mistakes. We all do. Just don't make too many. TEAM
bos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #33
LJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bos View Post
JoeRocket
You have to look at as who is your BEST CUSTOMER. I would say it is your own DEALERSHIP, service and new/used car sales. If you have to stock and keep track of special tools for your dealership that will help them fix more vehicles and sell more parts (that will benifit your bottomline) then do it. The used car dept. If you have to find used parts to make the deal a money maker then do it. The accesories dept, make it easier on the salesperson trying to sell add-ons.The whole dealership network is based upon a TEAM network. Be part of it. You can't be looking for a payback for every thing you do. You will make mistakes. We all do. Just don't make too many. TEAM
Good post.
LJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #34
JoeRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by bos View Post
JoeRocket

I don't think you see my point, but I do see yours. I really do. If it comes across as strictly money-oriented, then I must not be expressing my point correctly. My objection less about $$ than it is about principle.

I take it most of you are GMs or dealers, yeah? Any of you, besides FixedOpsGuy, work in Parts for any reasonable length of time? That might explain a lot.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #35
LJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRocket View Post
I take it most of you are GMs or dealers, yeah? Any of you, besides FixedOpsGuy, work in Parts for any reasonable length of time? That might explain a lot.
You ever tried to run a whole dealership any length of time? Take your parts problems and magnify them by 100.
LJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #36
FixedOpsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS View Post
You ever tried to run a whole dealership any length of time? Take your parts problems and magnify them by 100.

FixedOpsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #37
steve_biegler

YEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAA......just sold 2513.78 worth of special tools to another dealer for 1750.00. I think I did OK. Now what to do with the other 43K thats left. Glad I could take the sale away from Chrysler and save him some on their audit.

Last edited by steve_biegler; 01-20-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added a thought
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #38
JoeRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS View Post
While witty, that doesn't apply to the conversation.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:20 AM   #39
nightrain756

Thank you Rob in was very nice to meet you both maybe next time the weather will be warmer.Also if you like I will provide the parts buyer with your contact info.Thank you Eric Doran
nightrain756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #40
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
YEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAA......just sold 2513.78 worth of special tools to another dealer for 1750.00. I think I did OK. Now what to do with the other 43K thats left. Glad I could take the sale away from Chrysler and save him some on their audit.
That's awesome - a definite "win-win" for both dealers.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #41
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrain756 View Post
Thank you Rob in was very nice to meet you both maybe next time the weather will be warmer.Also if you like I will provide the parts buyer with your contact info.Thank you Eric Doran
Who's Rob?

Never mind, it's none of my business I'm just happy to hear you were able to make contact with another member and work out a deal.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #42
chryslersrt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Isakson View Post
I had a great service manager who went through and organized our special tools into plastic tote bins, gave them a location and used autosoft's special tool inventory to list and locate tools. when a tech needed tool # xxx-123 he looked it up in the inventory signed it out on the screen, used it, then signed it back in. It ran very smoothly and when we were audited by "the tool nazi's" we passed with flying colors.

Also, may I endorse using Doran Liquidators out of NJ area if a dealer is looking to buy or sell any tools. Eric drove and picked up all of our special tools and shop manuals for a fair price. Having all of our tools listed by number and location helped seal the deal.
i am assuming it is in response to this.

if keeping accurate inventory of service special tools is a problem in any dealership, i have to ask the question, "what else is not being kept secure in your service and/or parts department"?

and yes, besides being the dealer before chrysler stole our franchise, i had spent 10 years as parts manager and 5 years as service manager. so i know about the issues of security and inventory in those departments.
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #43
JoeRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Isakson View Post
and yes, besides being the dealer before chrysler stole our franchise, i had spent 10 years as parts manager and 5 years as service manager. so i know about the issues of security and inventory in those departments.
Yep. Looks like you had your people responsible for their own property. Great job. Puts a big exclamation mark on my point.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #44
marshmotors

Has anyone else come to the conclusion that many of the tools missing are complete kits and that perhaps they were never shipped in the first place?

After going through our entire inventory and arranging the tools, we are still missing about 110 tools from our list. We are preparing for an audit on May 8th and it seems like through poor record keeping and checks over the past few years, Chrysler has billed us for special tools that we actually never received, whether it be they were never sent or they were mishandled through shipping.

It's too late to go back at this point and play the blame game, but I was wondering if any fellow dealers noticed entire kits missing that have perhaps started to think they never received them from the start.
marshmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #45
possum

Find a friend, and be ready for the 8th.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote