Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Parts

Notices

Old 01-12-2016, 07:15 AM   #1
InBloom94

Default warranty?

we sold a master cylinder over the counter about a week ago...the guy apparantly took it to another shop...not a gm dealership and had it installed...now he is saying it is leaking and wants a refund or new cylinder...would it actually be warranty since he had someone else non gm install it? I told him that most likely we could not warranty something he had someone else install but I would look into it?
InBloom94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

I don't know about GM but in the old days at Chrysler a part that was sold over the counter had a "parts only" warranty. The customer would be entitled to a replacement part but there would be no compensation for labor.

I'm guessing that GM has the same policy - hopefully one of our members with GM experience will be able to chime in.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:37 AM   #3
InBloom94

yes I know it has the 12 month warranty parts wise...more so how to bill out the warranty one since it was installed at a non gm other shop kind of thing.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:45 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InBloom94 View Post
yes I know it has the 12 month warranty parts wise...more so how to bill out the warranty one since it was installed at a non gm other shop kind of thing.
OK, that makes sense.

I'm sure one of our members with GM experience will chime in. I can tell you how it used to be done at Chrysler but I doubt that would be too helpful to you.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:04 AM   #5
InBloom94

sorry, I didn't word it properly originially....my understanding is the part only would be under warranty for 12 months over the counter...since he had it installed at a non gm shop no labor...so would it be billed out on a warranty ticket from service like a parts replacement if I were to order him another cylinder?
Old 01-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InBloom94 View Post
sorry, I didn't word it properly originially....my understanding is the part only would be under warranty for 12 months over the counter...since he had it installed at a non gm shop no labor...so would it be billed out on a warranty ticket from service like a parts replacement if I were to order him another cylinder?
That's how it worked at Chrysler.

I remember the claim had to be entered into DIAL in a special fashion since the over the counter claim didn't have a VIN Number.

I'm guessing GM has a similar process and one of our members will know the correct process.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #7
TORGY

we do it on a counter ticket with the 40% markup and have the warranty clerk submit it to GM. you will need a copy of the original invoice, the VIN # and mileage of the vehicle, along with a customer complaint code, a failure code, and a labor operation which your service manager or advisor should be able to help you look up. This might be in the parts policy and procedure manual also.
TORGY is offline   Reply With Quote