Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 11-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Chrysler's new commercials

There's no risk of me imparting any personal bias in this thread because I haven't seen the new Jeep or Ram commercial yet. (I caught the last five seconds of the Jeep commercial but that hardly counts....)

That said, I was a huge critic of last year's Ram Challenge commercials so I'm hopeful that the change in agencies will generate some better results.

So, for those that have seen the new commercials, are they an improvement or not?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I've only seen the Jeep commercial. It was good the first time, but it's much too long. Now, every time I see it, I become more and more annoyed with Jeep. Maybe that was their object?
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Unhappy Just saw my first Ram commercial

OK, I'll admit that I'm not an ad guy and frankly I don't even think of myself as being creative. That said, I just saw my first Ram commercial and now I understand what the controversy is.

In case you haven't seen it, it starts off with a picture of Muhammad Ali, then transitions to Einstein and then to a pair of really old hands. All of this happens while a voice-over keeps repeating "My tank is full...."

If I were a BBDO guy and I just lost my job today I'd be shaking my head in disbelief.

Maybe I'm old-school, but to me the really good truck commercials actually show footage of the truck.....
Old 11-10-2009, 04:42 AM   #4
possum

I saw the article in Auto News, and someone blogged: My name is Ram, and I'm bankrupt.

There will be endless plays on this phrase, and mostly bad, I'm afraid.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
There will be endless plays on this phrase, and mostly bad, I'm afraid.
I agree. My bet is the "My tank is full..." tag-line won't last very long.

In my opinion the irony is Dodge now has the BEST truck in the segment and the WORST advertising. The Ram 1500 is such a great truck - it's too bad Chrysler doesn't showcase the vehicle in their ads.

Normally I wouldn't care too much about a bad TV spot, but based on what I've read Marchionne is approving each spot before it can appear on TV.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
crowe

There’s an old saying in advertising, it is not what you say, it is what they hear.
The perception of a brand or product can differ dramatically from the actual brand or product. Currently I think the perception of CJD is well below the actual CJD. New product is needed but until it exists the best light has to be shown to enhance the perception of the current product & brand. Whom ever has this task better truly have genius talent. I don’t think some of the former campaigns could sell prostitution on a troop train on payday. But the failed campaigns should be laid at the feet of the top corporate executives who made the decisions instead of the ad agency. For better or worse Marchionne will own these campaigns.
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:12 AM   #7
Ralph

Personally, I find the ram ad to be dark and depressing. The images are surrounded by thick black frames, I remember seeing the old hands, the smoke stacks, back breaking work, it reminds me of images of the Great Depression. In my humble and feeble opinion, after 5 months of silence and rumor, I would think the message would be something like, "Why purchase a Chrysler Product?" Warranties, technology.... The imagery type commercials are best when something is already established, not when coming out of the box in desperate condition. Just my opinion.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:00 AM   #8
DealerEx

WOW...I hadn't seen the commercial until last night...unbelievable! Evidently an awkard attempt at some type of "Zen" imagery, ie: "see the truck--hear the truck--feel the truck--be the truck". I was on the ad board for 10+ years and saw some pitiful creative from BBDO and others, but this takes the cake. Might be appropriate for a Saab / Audi / Scion, etc... but NOT for a full size PU. Hands down, the best truck campaigns ever put out were Chevy's "Lean on Me", "Like a Rock" and "Heartbeat of America"...all planting the image of strong, reliable, manly, rugged, etc...not asking you to think about how your truck "feels" about itself.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:17 AM   #9
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Nothing makes me feel better about a truck than seeing some cowboy on the open plains hauling hay and kicking ass.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe View Post
I don’t think some of the former campaigns could sell prostitution on a troop train on payday.
I read this post when I was reading the forum at a Starbucks and started laughing out loud.

I keep getting this visual image in my mind.....
Old 11-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Personally, I find the ram ad to be dark and depressing. The images are surrounded by thick black frames, I remember seeing the old hands, the smoke stacks, back breaking work, it reminds me of images of the Great Depression.
That's an interesting observation.

I've only seen the Ram ad once and I didn't have Tivo where I could re-watch it but the association with the Depression hits home. When I saw the really old hands I thought of that era.

Normally, I wouldn't care - it's just one commercial and maybe they'll get it right next time. But in this case, it's a new ad agency advertising a new brand and the ads apparently have to be reviewed by Marchionne before they're aired.

If that's the case, Marchionne's no Iacocca.....
Old 11-12-2009, 06:34 AM   #12
ssdd

I saw them all at the road show... they are all about the same... but they are going to spend more on advertising in nov and dec than they have all year so far...
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdd View Post
but they are going to spend more on advertising in nov and dec than they have all year so far...
Wow, that's encouraging.

It does seem like an odd time to start a big media blitz given that they'll be competing with all the retailers advertising for Christmas shoppers.

Hopefully they'll still be advertising at a high level when the Spring 2010 market arrives.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #14
The StraightShooter

Now this was a great ad from a better time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W8OYymfmJQ

If only Marchionne could swing a 2010 version of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nppKMomMP-4

and yes I am biased and nostalgic...
The StraightShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The StraightShooter View Post
and yes I am biased and nostalgic...
The Iacocca commercials back in the day were awesome.

It would be great if Chrysler had someone who could deliver a message like that today. Sadly, I don't think Marchionne, Kidder or any of the brand CEOs would be able to make it believable.