Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Service

Notices

Old 07-17-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
FixedOpsGuy

Default Parts Warranty claims (Mopar Claim)

Does anyone have any idea what the ruling on this question may be?

We are in transition from OLDCO to NEWCO so, for the last 13+ months of being without a dealer code, we have installed and repaired hundreds of Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep brand vehicles. We have won our arbitration case. So, therefore, essentially, congress has somewhat stated that we should have never been shut down in the first place. With that being said, do all repairs made on vehicles during the last 12 months qualify the customer for a legitimate Chrysler Mopar Warranty, valid nationwide? We know that the parts would be warrantied 12/12 (according to normal Mopar warranty guidelines, any part installed through an aftermarket repair facility will be covered for PARTS ONLY, no labor, for 12 months/12,000 miles)...but, what about the labor? Will the labor be warrantied?

And, if so, that would mean that it would become a 12/unlimited, parts and labor. These oldco/newco conversion dealers could make an assertive effort and present a strong case that all those repairs made in the last 13 months should now be considered "repaired in an authorized factory repair facility" and therefore, be covered nationwide at any C/J/D dealer for 12/unlimited parts and labor.

Any thoughts?
FixedOpsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
possum

I can't imagine a case where anything done as a terminated Dealer will go forward to Chrysler.

If a med student does surgery, then becomes a doctor, it still didn't make it right.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
I can't imagine a case where anything done as a terminated Dealer will go forward to Chrysler.
I agree with possum - it's highly unlikely Chrysler will do anything that signals the reinstated dealers never lost their franchise agreement. My bet is Chrysler fears the dealers will make claims for the losses they incurred selling their vehicles, parts, tools, etc. if they open that door.

In the old days you may have been able to ask your DM to make a policy adjustment but I'm not sure if that's a realistic option today.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
FixedOpsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
it's highly unlikely Chrysler will do anything that signals the reinstated dealers never lost their franchise agreement.
Maybe....but, they may have already opened that door slightly...

Our GM never lost his dealer connect logon id. When logged-on, his ID clearly states our dealer code and name. I know that this access was used for certain close-out purposes in the last year...but they did not fully shut dealerconnect off. So, could a claim be made that NEWCO acknowledged an OLDCO dealer's existence? maybe. They allowed an OLDCO dealer's GM to have access to their communication system and the communication system clearly states our dealer code and dealer's name.

Last edited by XDCX; 07-18-2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Fixed the quote tag to make the post easier to read
FixedOpsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
The StraightShooter

I wouldn't count on any such policy coming to fruition. In fact to be hyper technical Newco acts as a collection agent for Oldco as they are legally considered to be 2 companies in the same as per USEDandABUSED. Hopefully I'm incorrect its just that I've become accustomed to expect the worst. Hell they tried charging me back for warranty work in late 2009.
The StraightShooter is offline   Reply With Quote