Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

View Poll Results: How would you change Chrysler's Advertising?
No changes - the current ads are OK they just need time to work 1 3.23%
Focus on the Product - Sell Features and Benefits - It's not Rocket Science, it's Advertising 101 17 54.84%
Focus on the Deal - Target a few select vehicles with a subvented deal and flood the airwaves 2 6.45%
Develop a new Spokesperson - Chrysler needs a new face - It's time for the next version of Lee Iacocca 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default How would you change Chrysler's Advertising?

How would you change Chrysler's Advertising?

It doesn't matter whether you're talking about the Chrysler brand, Jeep or Ram, Chrysler's latest ad campaigns have stirred a lot of controversy.

The level of frustration reached a new high last week when it was reported that members of Chrysler's National Dealer Council contacted Auburn Hills requesting the current ads be dropped and new TV spots developed.

How would you change Chrysler's Advertising? Please take our poll and share your opinion.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:31 AM   #2
dodgequality

Actually, a combination of 2,3,4 are needed. That is 101.
dodgequality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:39 AM   #3
CL Pgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgequality View Post
Actually, a combination of 2,3,4 are needed. That is 101.
Before I even read this post... it is exactly what I was thinking.

OK... here's our reality... this is isn't going to happen! So instead, I vote to move beyond the phase one immediately... and start phase #2 which is where the new Wrangler "Hair" commercial (I believe?) came from.

Maybe I'm asking too much? Just kill the damn "Ram I Am" commercial!!!!!!!!!!!! :shades:
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
blauto

Default Dodge advertising

I am a terminated dealer, I voted to keep it just as it is. That way, they will never sell another deal. Off 45% per month and they wonder why.
blauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauto View Post
I am a terminated dealer, I voted to keep it just as it is. That way, they will never sell another deal. Off 45% per month and they wonder why.
I know you're not the only OLDCO dealer who feels that way.

I received a PM from an OLDCO dealer a couple of months ago concerning his anger with Chrysler and his resentment toward the NEWCO dealer who took his franchise. It was a great PM - it really opened my eyes.

While I think it's great that the OLDCO and NEWCO dealer get along on the forum, I understand that's not always the case in the real world.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:00 AM   #6
Ralph

I'm a NEWCO. I have worked with AMC/Jeep/Renault and Chrysler since 1981 every day of my life. At no time in my experience with all the owners and regimes, have I been so angry with the current situation. I resent the actions of the past 12 months. Although I was spared, it was only temporary.

One thing I've not seen mentioned, and something I said so often in the spring that my vocal cords hurt, is this. Over the last 10 years the people remaining at the Business center levels are there because they're survivors. They've figured out a way to lie, cheat and steal their way into getting dealers to choke themselves within inches of their deaths on product. If they didn't look good to the thieves in Detroit and Stuttgardt, they were sent home.

The government and/or new owners can change like the wind but leaving the same crews at the business centers results in NO CHANGES. These people have been trained rabid dogs who are employed still because of their ability to sound like they're trying to help dealers. It takes a special kind of person to say and do the things they're still doing and keep a straight face.

I don't trust a word they say, in fact when I see or hear their lips moving, my ears flap over. I know it's incorrect, damaging, underhanded, and carries with it some alterior motive from the one presented. Our contact with Fiat/Chrysler is the same as it was under Press and the rest of the loonys. The culture has not changed a bit. Examples count in the hundreds of millions. I'll reiterate one here,

My recent sales forecast giving to me by the business center...of course looking to insure we are profitable and take care of our customers and employees. I have 21 vehicles on the ground and average just under 10 retails a month. I have about 20 vehicles on order, most of which have been in the system for over 4 months. They "forecast" 6 for December, 18 for January, and 28 for February...a sales rate for Jan and Feb of 23 units a month. I only need to order another 38 units to accomplish this feat.

What is going to happen from December's 6 to February's 28? Aliens coming to Detroit? Someone putting something in the water of America that changes the general public into desperate buyers? Detroit says they want their dealers with a 60 day supply on the ground. The business center helpfully and cheerfully recommends around 180. I wonder if Sergio Press knows this is what they're recommending?

Many of us will become Oldco anyway, it has just taken a bit more time and a lot more money down the drain to get there.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
Ralph

This is probably the wrong place for this post, but it fits in with my previous one so well, I have to. This is a response e-mail to my sales and service reps., concerning this customer care meeting and SGS "trial" inspection. They're very concerned about what we're going to buy them for food.

At noon yesterday the meeting is scheduled for Monday, and by 5:00 Thursday it has to be Friday? With no notice? (REP.s NAME DELETED), ummm........is this what Chrysler's been reduced to?

If you go to the bottom of this e-mail, this is my inquiry to (REP.s NAME DELETED)...her response, mine and her's again. What is going on with you guys? What is so complicated about this? This is simply a dying franchisor with nothing better to do than send teams into the field to find fault with, and violations of franchise agreements. Its pretty straight forward.

Dealers are struggling to stay alive and keep their people employed. Chrysler is struggling to continue pointing fingers at the dealers for their troubles. Just come in here whenever you want, rifle through my processes, disrupt the fragile work schedule, and see what you can report to Detroit that I'm doing wrong. You don't need a schedule for this, come in anytime. We'll be here fighting for our next breath. Sorry though, we eat leftovers here from the night before at our dinner tables. No one can afford to buy lunches and dinners. Allen Motors is an auto dealership, an independent business incorporated in the State of New Hampshire. We cannot afford to buy you people snacks, sandwiches, donuts and cookies. I suggest you inform the SGS team with some better notice than you gave (an employee), that they should bring bag lunches and snacks.

I can't believe you guys. Haven't you been at a dealership recently and seen any financial statements? Am I angry...yes. Disgusted...yes. Come whenever you want, the smooth and slick planning on Chrysler's part for this farce I'm sure will encourage unwavering attention to what you have to say.

This is what NEWCO dealers live with now. I would have preferred a quick death I think.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #8
LJS

I agree with your last post to the letter. Man it ticks me off what they are doing here. I haven't been contacted yet to set ours up. Who the hell do they think they are? I don't know about you Ralph, but we did not go bankrupt. We ran our business well enough we were able to survive. Now they are gonna have the gall to have some guys come out and disrupt our business so they can find out all the stuff we don't do right? They need to spend there time getting the line-up re-freshed and coming up with some decent commercials, getting transportation problems taken care of, rebuilding THEIR image. Boy I can't wait till the rep calls me!
LJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
They're very concerned about what we're going to buy them for food.
That's classic.

I bet there's not a single Chrysler dealer in the nation that can't relate to that story on some level.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
crowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
They're very concerned about what we're going to buy them for food.
They shouldn’t be hungry they are full of BS.
If they seem to have a taste for it smile & feed them some more.
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
s32741bb

Fire the idiots who came up with the ads and spent all that money!
s32741bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
s32741bb

PS : We need ads convincing the public that we are a strong company and sell the product not a political view.
s32741bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Default Motor Trend Truck Award Ad looked good

In fairness to Chrysler, I saw a commercial last night for the 2011 HD Ram announcing the Motor Truck Award and I thought it looked great.

The truck was the centerpiece of the ad and they highlighted the new interior and the availability of the 6.7 liter Cummins diesel.

I know this forum comes across as being "anti-Chrysler" sometimes but I like to think we're objective enough to give them credit for the smart things they do.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #14
Txflyer

Yep, we saw that ad a the 2500 Truck Drive-Away last week. I was impressed - at least it's a step in the right direction.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
lsx only

speaking of the 6.7 are they holiding up well like the old 5.9
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote