Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 04-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
chryslersrt8

Default What was your worst demo?

How about THE WORST DEMO YOU EVER HAD?

I'll start off with any 2.2 Horizon/ K car with a carb. Damn thing never ran smooth, hard to start, and in the cold weather we always kept a clean set of plugs to screw in when flooded. Screwed in the clean set and blasted the old set.

But the worst demo ever was a 1976 Trailduster (Dodge had Ramcharger). The damn thing leaked water like the Titanic. It also gave new meaning to rust bucket. The local Ziebart store wouldn't even rustproof them after awhile! They new better.

Ahhh, the good old days....
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
steve_biegler

Worst......Easy
Jeep Scrambler with an "Iron Duke" (puke) GM 4 cyl with a 5 speed. Wouldn't hold 55 mph with a tail wind in 5th gear. Another dealer call to trade it and luckily I had only put about 150 miles on it, so I was happy to let it go!
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #3
79LilRedExpress

THIS IS AN EASY ONE... Omni 024/Charger DeTomosso...
The car just wasn't right after my boss took it to show a customer and wrecked it on his way home!
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryslersrt8 View Post
How about THE WORST DEMO YOU EVER HAD?

I'll start off with any 2.2 Horizon/ K car with a carb. Damn thing never ran smooth, hard to start, and in the cold weather we always kept a clean set of plugs to screw in when flooded. Screwed in the clean set and blasted the old set.

But the worst demo ever was a 1976 Trailduster (Dodge had Ramcharger). The damn thing leaked water like the Titanic. It also gave new meaning to rust bucket. The local Ziebart store wouldn't even rustproof them after awhile! They new better.

Ahhh, the good old days....
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
Worst......Easy
Jeep Scrambler with an "Iron Duke" (puke) GM 4 cyl with a 5 speed. Wouldn't hold 55 mph with a tail wind in 5th gear. Another dealer call to trade it and luckily I had only put about 150 miles on it, so I was happy to let it go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress View Post
THIS IS AN EASY ONE... Omni 024/Charger DeTomosso...
The car just wasn't right after my boss took it to show a customer and wrecked it on his way home!
I think the topic of "What was your worst demo?" deserves its own thread.

I'll create a new thread and then split these posts and move them to the new thread.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
DealerEx

1983 Monte Carlo with the 5.7 liter diesel...it wasn't too bad running around here in central Texas...wasn't going to win any acceleration contests, but got great fuel mileage, for the time. BUT...I made the mistake of driving it out to Ruidoso to go skiing one time...got up over 9,000 feet altitude and nothing but a cloud of black smoke pouring out as you ran wide open trying to maintain 30 MPH going up the mountains.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

I once had to drive an Eagle Medallion as a demo.

It was a horrible vehicle that still had a lot of the Renault badging on it.

The one thing I still remember is the weird turn signal switch placement. As I recall the turn signal switch wasn't part of the steering column it was part of the instrument panel. One of the many weird quirks about driving a Renault.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
squish

I can't remember the year but it was a Dodge Monaco (Eagle Premier). That car was constantly breaking down. Died on me going up the "Grapevine" I-5. I was in the fast lane of a four lane highway with no center median, I had to dodge traffic making it across the lanes to the shoulder.

Finally sold the car to a friend that just had to have it. He had a bunch of trouble with it, until his house burned down and burned the car up with it.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
Flybrian

1987 Dodge 600 Turbo.

127k miles. Rebuilt California title. After the dealership up and closed, the owner gave me the title as severance.

This was in 2010.
Flybrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
mryan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybrian View Post
1987 Dodge 600 Turbo.

127k miles. Rebuilt California title. After the dealership up and closed, the owner gave me the title as severance.

This was in 2010.
Yikes! What kind of dealership was this?!?!
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #10
Flybrian

Default If you REALLY want to know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
Yikes! What kind of dealership was this?!?!
It was the one featured on an episode of that Car Lot Rescue reality show entitled "The Worst Little Car Lot in Florida" lol
Flybrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #11
mryan55

Unless it's been bumped off by other things, I should still have that saved on my DVR! I'll have to check it out again.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybrian View Post
It was the one featured on an episode of that Car Lot Rescue reality show entitled "The Worst Little Car Lot in Florida" lol
I remember that episode.....

We even had a thread about Car Lot Cowboy/Car Lot Rescue that went on for five pages. Here's the link - click here
Old 04-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #13
birch3x

1986 Subaru xt coupe with no power windows or backseat. And a 5 speed.
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #14
mryan55

I'm surprised that Car Lot Rescue hasn't been renewed at some point... then again, I'm sure we all have at least a passing interest in the topic whilst the average American doesn't!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
I'm surprised that Car Lot Rescue hasn't been renewed at some point... then again, I'm sure we all have at least a passing interest in the topic whilst the average American doesn't!
While I'm no expert when it comes to TV production, I get the impression there's "more to the story" as it relates to Car Lot Rescue and its short run on TV.

The project started off as Car Lot Cowboy and then went dormant. It was later re-titled to Car Lot Rescue where it faced further delays before it was finally aired.

When the first episode was finally released it received a horrible time slot and unlike the vast majority of reality TV repeats of the episodes were never shown.

As I mentioned in the other thread, it's almost like someone at SPIKE TV wanted Car Lot Rescue to fail.