Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 01-31-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default So, you want to be a Chrysler Dealer?

If you're a General Manager at a Dealership and you have $250K to $500K in liquid assets you might want to look at Chrysler's advertisement on the CareerBuilder website.

Chrysler's Minority Retail Dealership Development program is seeking applicants that have an interest in taking the first step toward becoming a Dealer Principal.

Here's a link to the ad on the CareerBuilder website: Click Here

(Note: The above link is time sensitive - it will only be active for 14 - 21 more days.)
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
bruce350

You DO realize that Minority dealer development is for blacks, females, and any other socioeconomic group that Chrysler feels they are lacking representation. We had a Ford-Mercury franchise bought from us by Ford back in 1986. Ford over the years poured millions into this franchise to keep the "minority" afloat. He is still there, but..........

We also had another Chrysler franchise that had been owned by three different people over the years. We had by far the most dealership experience and put by far the most money, time, and effort into making that particular location a viable business. In the end, we didn't lose any money, but we saw the handwriting on the wall and to coin a phrase, "got the heck out of Dodge." We are better off for making this decision. Chrysler put one more dealer in this location, and he was such a crook and a mismanager of the dealership that they booted him, sold the assets, closed the point permanently and awarded the territory to us-we are the next closest chrysler franchise.

To end my lengthy response by answering your question-no way in hell!
bruce350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce350 View Post
You DO realize that Minority dealer development is for blacks, females, and any other socioeconomic group that Chrysler feels they are lacking representation. We had a Ford-Mercury franchise bought from us by Ford back in 1986. Ford over the years poured millions into this franchise to keep the "minority" afloat. He is still there, but..........

We also had another Chrysler franchise that had been owned by three different people over the years. We had by far the most dealership experience and put by far the most money, time, and effort into making that particular location a viable business. In the end, we didn't lose any money, but we saw the handwriting on the wall and to coin a phrase, "got the heck out of Dodge." We are better off for making this decision. Chrysler put one more dealer in this location, and he was such a crook and a mismanager of the dealership that they booted him, sold the assets, closed the point permanently and awarded the territory to us-we are the next closest chrysler franchise.

To end my lengthy response by answering your question-no way in hell!
So you don't want to be a Chrysler Dealer?

In answer to your question, yes, I knew that the program was for minority applicants only. (When the link was active it was clear that Chrysler's Program was for minority candidates.)

Granted, they've had some failures but I know of two super-successful dealers that now own multiple stores that got their start in Chrysler's MID Program.

I was just surprised to see the ad - that's the main reason for the post. Given the massive dealer consolidation that Chrysler has planned with Project Genesis, I wonder how many open points they'll have for minority dealers?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote