Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 01-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default "Driving America" Special Packages

I read an e-mail on DealerConnect that indicated that the Business Center is offering "free" options on a limited number of vehicles for dealers that enter orders on VOIM. It was a first come, first server type of offer.

They were offering the following "free" options:
  • Free Leather on Grand Cherokee Laredo X Pkg - total of 80 for the BC
  • Free Chrome Package on the Ram LD - Total of 200 for the BC
  • Free Chrome Package on the Ram HD - Total of 250 for the BC
The e-mail indicated that the BC may get extra vehicles if some of the other BCs didn't cover their number.

As I understand it, it appears that this "free" equipment carries through to the Monroney, so the only one the really wins is the customer who purchased the vehicle.

To me it seems like this type of offer just makes it harder to sell your existing inventory. Hopefully I'm wrong and there's an element to this program that I'm missing that makes the whole thing make sense.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
CL Pgh

I've been waiting for this and warning my dealer it's the next step from the factory. Chrysler has done this time & again the last several years at just about this same time of year. Once the dealers are full to the brim (Bank units in past or now $$$ Baited orders) ... the factory would start building "Packaged" units that are better buys for the customers.

Remember the Freedom Edition - Columbia Package - Signature Editions - on & on... its like clock work!!! Dealers won't order cars... THEN the factory starts to build something the retail customer will seek out!!! I'd bet anything this free equipment "packaging" is only at it's begining stages... again!

Last edited by CL Pgh; 01-10-2009 at 12:43 PM.
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL Pgh View Post
I've been waiting for this and warning my dealer it's the next step from the factory. Chrysler has done this time & again the last several years at just about this same time of year.
That's what I was afraid of. When I first read the d-mail I thought it was going to be an Invoice Credit only - I should have known better.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default WSJ picks up on Chrysler's Inventory Situation

I noticed that the Wall Street Journal picked up on Chrysler's inventory situation and ran a story reporting that many dealers were overstocked and had cut back their orders.

Here's a link to the Wall Street Journal report: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1231...googlenews_wsj

I'm sure Chrysler sees their "Driving America" packages as a way to increase orders, but in reality they're just punishing the dealers that stepped up and ordered in the past.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
dafuzz1956

I am not sure but this time with no relief and two tier pricing we may see alot of dealers tell Chrysler to take a FLYING _ _ _ _ _ _ _ LEAP. I don't see any new orders in the very near future.
dafuzz1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
ssdd

I was in a sebc daa meeting all day and I can tell you that most dealers have had enough
I don't see any of my fellow dealers ordering cars, period...
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdd View Post
I was in a sebc daa meeting all day and I can tell you that most dealers have had enough
I don't see any of my fellow dealers ordering cars, period...
Great observation - I think Chrysler dealers throughout the country are getting worn out.

I was watching a CNBC segment that covered the Detroit Auto Show and one of the questions they asked their four panelists concerned Chrysler's future. Three of the panelists thought Chrysler would be sold off or merged and the fourth panelist was predicting bankruptcy.

Hopefully they'll all be proven wrong - time will tell.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Default Now they've added packages for the Charger and 300

I thought of CL Pgh when I noticed that two more body models were added to the "Driving America" program for West BC dealers - the Chrysler 300 and the Dodge Charger.

In fact, I got a little paranoid when I read the portion of the D-mail that explained that the credit carried all the way through to the Monroney.

Has Chrysler been reading my posts? (Just kidding, I'm not that paranoid.)
Old 01-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Default Now they're just rubbing salt in the wounds

I read a D-mail this afternoon indicating that the West BC will have an extra $500 Consumer Cash offer for customers that purchase 2009 Ram HDs ordered with the "free" chrome package. The extra $500 offer will begin in February and run through March.

So, the dealers that didn't step up in the past will now have the ability to place orders for 2009 Ram HDs and offer their customers "free" chrome AND an extra $500.

Just another example of "two-tier" pricing brought to you by your friends in Auburn Hills.

I know that Chrysler needs orders - I'm not against that. Just don't punish the dealers that already stepped up by making their inventory significantly less attractive to the retail buyer.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
CL Pgh

Quote:
Remember the Freedom Edition - Columbia Package - Signature Editions - on & on... its like clock work!!! Dealers won't order cars... THEN the factory starts to build something the retail customer will seek out!!! I'd bet anything this free equipment "packaging" is only at it's beginning stages... again!
Next... they'll figure out a way to advertise these new discounted packages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
So, the dealers that didn't step up in the past will now have the ability to place orders for 2009 Ram HDs and offer their customers "free" chrome AND an extra $500.
This new deal IS for the dealers that have already step'd up! In some form or another the large majority of dealers already "drank the juice"! They need the large majority again (like clock work)... presto... we have yet another "Spring Special Because We Need Orders" package... (did I say, again?)

TWI

Last edited by CL Pgh; 01-13-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
This new deal IS for the dealers that have already step'd up! In some form or another the large majority of dealers already "drank the juice"!
That's a great point. In my area (Seattle) there were a quite a few dealers that opted out of the "In it to win it" program - that's why I kept thinking of it as a "two-tier" pricing issue.

But you're right, most dealers will be forced to step up just to remain competitive.

On a final note, I loved the smiley but I have to admit I needed to use Urbandictionary.com to figure out what TWI means.

I'm guessing that you're either "Totally with it" or you're "Typing while intoxicated"?
Old 01-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #12
CL Pgh

Typing while intox.

My post seemed a little obnoxious & I didn't want ya all to think I was Bi-Polar.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #13
ssdd

They are already asking me to order some of those packages...
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #14
CL Pgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdd View Post
They are already asking me to order some of those packages...
I'm push'n my dealer to sit tight... I'm guessing by the end of the month the "offer" can only get better.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
I'm push'n my dealer to sit tight... I'm guessing by the end of the month the "offer" can only get better.
That certainly seems to be the pattern based on recent history.