Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Hyundai/Kia > Sales

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Buy your Hyundai Equus at home -- and never visit a dealer

The USA Today had an interesting article concerning the Hyundai Equus with the captivating title - "Buy your Hyundai Equus at home -- and never visit a dealer." Here's a link to the article - click here

Hyundai's not trying to circumvent their dealers, they're simply offering customers the option of completing the vehicle purchase at their home if that's permissible with state franchise laws. Only 250 of Hyundai's 800 dealers will be eligible to sell the Equus and it appears they have to agree to offer their customers with the home sell and service pick-up options.

The Equus is larger than the Genesis sedan and should be on the market by November. Based on another review I read the vehicle looks so good it's scary. Good news if you're a Hyundai dealer.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I agree. A great looking vehicle. I eager to see a review of the driving dynamics.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
steve_biegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
The USA Today had an interesting article concerning the Hyundai Equus with the captivating title - "Buy your Hyundai Equus at home -- and never visit a dealer." Here's a link to the article - click here

Hyundai's not trying to circumvent their dealers, they're simply offering customers the option of completing the vehicle purchase at their home if that's permissible with state franchise laws. Only 250 of Hyundai's 800 dealers will be eligible to sell the Equus and it appears they have to agree to offer their customers with the home sell and service pick-up options.

The Equus is larger than the Genesis sedan and should be on the market by November. Based on another review I read the vehicle looks so good it's scary. Good news if you're a Hyundai dealer.
In a state that has franchise laws that protect you!
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
I agree. A great looking vehicle. I eager to see a review of the driving dynamics.
Here's a link to the Autoblog report I read earlier - click here

I really liked the report because it conceded the new Equus isn't perfect and there are other cars which offer higher quality materials and a better driving experience. The report concluded the Equus' greatest asset is its value proposition - it's a lot of car for the money when compared to the competition.

If you don't have time to read the report, just click on the link and look at the picture of the Equus' rear seating area. It's hard to believe Hyundai used to be the butt of most of Leno's car jokes just 10 - 15 years ago.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
In a state that has franchise laws that protect you!
I think you've hit the nail on the head - I doubt too many deals will ever be conducted outside the dealership. To Hyundai's credit it's a nice story and they'll get some free publicity but that's probably the extent of it.

In the states I'm familiar with there would be sales tax issues if the entire transaction was conducted outside the dealership. Additionally, there would be market area challenges by dealers claiming other dealers were retailing vehicles in their territory.

Again, to Hyundai's credit it's smart marketing. The only reason I read the article was because the headline mentioned never visiting the dealership. Once I read the story I became more interested in the vehicle - their marketing plan is working already....
Old 09-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
79LilRedExpress

It's my understanding that in some States "in home sales" will give the customer a 3 day grace period to cancel, even if the car is in their possession.
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
steve_biegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress View Post
It's my understanding that in some States "in home sales" will give the customer a 3 day grace period to cancel, even if the car is in their possession.
Doesn't Chrysler give you 60 day return? Oh but I think you have to give up the rebate or the financing or was it your first born....I forget.
Very nice looking car......trying to be positive!!!

Last edited by steve_biegler; 09-07-2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: just because
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress View Post
That's a great point.

I'm also thinking it would be hard to complete the F&I process out of the store - it's not like the dealer is going to send a salesperson and a F&I Manager to the customer's home. In a perfect world I guess one person could do the deal "A to Z" but I know that's proven difficult in the past.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
ohiobuckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
That's a great point.

I'm also thinking it would be hard to complete the F&I process out of the store - it's not like the dealer is going to send a salesperson and a F&I Manager to the customer's home. In a perfect world I guess one person could do the deal "A to Z" but I know that's proven difficult in the past.
Agreed! Very hard to sell Gap CL/AH and Chrysler Service Contract with being under the "Rooftop."

But it can be done. I have done a few for very very good customers. Sales Person take vehicle to customer and has the papers signed and goes over with customer.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote