Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business This is the place where it happens

Old 07-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default What's your store doing for the Fourth of July?

Given that the Fourth of July lands right in the middle of the week this year it makes it challenging for those stores that typically took the day off.

I'm guessing that most stores will be open on the Fourth but I've been wrong in the past.

What's your store doing for the Fourth of July?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
ohiobuckeyes

CLOSED since it's one on the 5 holidays we celebrate.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #3
Jeff Duvall

Closed, one of four we celebrate including thanksgiving day, Christmas (2days) and labor day. We open on new years.

Last edited by Jeff Duvall; 07-03-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Jeff Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
lsx only

closed for the fourth
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
chryslersrt8

closed for the 4th much to the dismay of our sales dm.
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
conn02

closed one of five we give our employees. Although, in the past, we have opened in sales (service and parts close as well as office staff) if our competition is open. we give those that work a comp day.
conn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
CL Pgh

Open. 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryslersrt8 View Post
closed for the 4th much to the dismay of our sales dm.
And this pisses me off! My DM wasn't just happy with me telling him we're open... he wanted our hours... he was asking me what kind bonus we were having for the sales staff... were we having hot dogs and hamburgers for the customers... and when he asked about our advertising (& I was waiting for this!)... I shoved it right back at him asking him how in the hell was I going to run an ad. when HE couldn't tell what incentives we'd have!

Sorry for the rant but I've had it answering to someone who doesn't sign my paycheck and truly has NO concept of what RETAIL sales involves!
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Interesting comments - there are a lot more stores closed than I would have thought. And not just rural stores, but metro stores too.

Maybe it's a West Coast thing but I'm betting the vast majority of the metro stores will be open on the Fourth.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL Pgh View Post
... and when he asked about our advertising (& I was waiting for this!)... I shoved it right back at him asking him how in the hell was I going to run an ad. when HE couldn't tell what incentives we'd have!
I nominate this for "Quote of the week."

It's amazing that after all these years Auburn Hills still struggles with the complexity of their incentives and then further compounds the problem by slowly communicating information about the new incentives to their dealers.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
CarguyCO

Closed....
CarguyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #11
SDCJ

Closed...only 2 dealers in the district are open. They are supposedly only staffing with one person.
SDCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCJ View Post
Closed...only 2 dealers in the district are open. They are supposedly only staffing with one person.
Wow, I'm sure it can be done but I don't think I'd want to be responsible for the store and be the only employee on property.

How would you be able to test drive a trade vehicle to determine the actual ACV?

And if you did sell a car, where would you contract the customer? Would you try to do it at the Sales Desk so you could still watch the showroom or would you go to the F&I office and then hope nothing got stolen from the showroom while you were working with your customer?

As a West Coast guy where almost 100% of the vehicles are spot-delivered I cannot imagine how one person could do it. Maybe the "one-man" concept would work for stores that did scheduled deliveries?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
Swcorp

We opened for 4 hours. Sold one for three stores. After we closed my mechnic sold one to people from out of town who drove the distance to see us! Ouch my sales guy got written up for this mess up! But got lucky that my tech was there working on a car we needed to delivery the next day! Walked him tru the system and he wrapped up the deal! Yikes!!! :
Swcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swcorp View Post
We opened for 4 hours. Sold one for three stores. After we closed my mechnic sold one to people from out of town who drove the distance to see us! Ouch my sales guy got written up for this mess up! But got lucky that my tech was there working on a car we needed to delivery the next day! Walked him tru the system and he wrapped up the deal! Yikes!!! :
So your sales guy left early and your service guy called you and you walked him through the process for selling a car? If that's the case, good Karma for your service guy - that's a great story.

In a way your story reminds me of a plan that Lithia had a few years ago where they were going to remove most decision making authority from the stores and make all of the major decisions from Medford. The concept was to essentially run all of their stores on remote control - even the trade ACVs were made by Medford.

The concept was Lithia would generate huge saving by eliminating the Used Car Manager position from all of their stores and then achieve additional savings since they could afford to hire less expensive GMs and New Car Managers since Medford would be making decisions about inventory, allocation, used cars, etc.

In Lithia's case running a store via remote control proved to be harder than they thought and the savings were not that significant. The concept quietly drifted away.

In you case, I'm glad your had an employee who was up to the challenge and it resulted in a happy customer and an additional car sale.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #15
Swcorp

Yeah XDXC we got lucky that my tech is smart enough to understand the sales process and is really good on the computer side of things. He runs most of the ro's and some purchase orders on the dealer track dms already. Just had to ad him as salesman and we got it handled!
Swcorp is offline   Reply With Quote