Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

View Poll Results: What percentage of your Dodge Trucks are sold with RamBox?
More than 25% of our Dodge Trucks are sold with RamBox 0 0%
Less than 25% of our Dodge Trucks are sold with RamBox 1 4.55%
Less than 10% of our Dodge Trucks are sold with RamBox 3 13.64%
Less than 5% of our Dodge Trucks are sold with RamBox 11 50.00%
What's a RamBox? - We've never sold one 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #16
conn02

before they launched this product, I was at a dealer meeting in Naples, Fl. where they show us a preproduction unit. Since this meeting was the Charger Club meeting they had their biggest dealers attending. They told us at that meeting, the price they were going to charge. By and large, the dealers told Chrysler that was too high and that the price should be a stand alone price of $500-600. Chrysler didn't appear too interested in that
conn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #17
DealerEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I thought of this thread when I was watching a new episode of Top Gear the other day.

Top Gear was testing three different full-size trucks and the 2013 Ram 1500 had the RamBox feature. I'm sure Chrysler provided a truck with the RamBox option to increase the awareness of this option but the hosts of the show mostly panned the feature because the RamBox is somewhat small and it reduces the space available in the bed of the truck.

What amazes me the most is this thread is almost three years old and RamBox still hasn't taken off in the market. Will Auburn Hills ever get the pricing/marketing of the RamBox correct or is the RamBox doomed for failure?
I just looked at one on a trade...2012 model...first one I've seen up close. It's pretty cool, but it does shrink the bed size considerably. As for how many are sold, it must not be very many. I went to Manheim's market data, and there were none ( ZERO) that went through any Manheim auction nationwide in last 3 months. The only transactions that showed up in the historical data was 3 units that sold in May...I would guess it was probably 3 units that came in off the same lease from some fleet. The guy that brought it in to me, said the only reason he bought it, was because he's short and can't reach over the side to get into a regular toolbox.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by conn02 View Post
before they launched this product, I was at a dealer meeting in Naples, Fl. where they show us a preproduction unit. Since this meeting was the Charger Club meeting they had their biggest dealers attending. They told us at that meeting, the price they were going to charge. By and large, the dealers told Chrysler that was too high and that the price should be a stand alone price of $500-600. Chrysler didn't appear too interested in that
You would think that by now both Chrysler and their supplier have concluded that the RamBox is over-priced and they've adjusted their sales expectations and taken the R&D hit.

With the development costs already written off Chrysler's incremental cost for RamBox must be pretty cheap. Why not have a special promotion just to create interest for the entire truck line?

Hell, if I were Bigland I would have had a "Black Friday RamBox Sale" and offered a free RamBox option to any customer who ordered a 2014 Ram. We all know the vast majority of customers buy their vehicles from dealer inventory but it would have been a great excuse for your sales team to contact any customer who had ever expressed an interest in a Ram truck but didn't buy one.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #19
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
As for how many are sold, it must not be very many. I went to Manheim's market data, and there were none ( ZERO) that went through any Manheim auction nationwide in last 3 months. The only transactions that showed up in the historical data was 3 units that sold in May...I would guess it was probably 3 units that came in off the same lease from some fleet.
Wow, that's amazing. I wonder how many RamBox trucks Chrysler actually produced?

I can envision watching a Barrett-Jackson Auction in 30 years where a RamBox owner is looking to sell his truck for top dollar because it was such a rare vehicle....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
The guy that brought it in to me, said the only reason he bought it, was because he's short and can't reach over the side to get into a regular toolbox.
I bet there are a lot of short people who can relate to that frustration. It would be a great feature to highlight in a commercial that promotes RamBox.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #20
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by conn02 View Post
This is my opinion, but here is the way I think Fiat-Chrysler is looking at this. Ram is moving trucks faster than the industry average, the Ram truck is the darling of the industry, and it is the only truck to offer a RamBox. Why would they lower prices when things are going great? If everything is going well, they aren't going to listen to the dealers. There is no need to. Especially with Fiat trying to get every penny out its American asset, they won't act fast to lower the price. It is a premium that people will pay for if they want it. Plus, they won't drop the RamBox because it is another thing they can brag about. So, I don't think Fiat-Chrysler is too worried about RamBox sales. And why should they? Things are going great!
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote