Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,861
Default Chrysler to have 22 - 25 models by 2013

Automotive News released a report indicating that a full-line Chrysler dealer may have as many as 22 - 25 models to inventory by 2013.

While I'll work on a separate new product thread later this morning, I couldn't help but think of many of the comments our member Ralph made when he first joined the forum. How can a dealer who sells 30 - 50 new cars per month manage to inventory 25 different models?

As before, I don't want to sound like I'm always critical of Chrysler and second-guess everything they do. I agree that the Chrysler dealers need new product and the sooner the better. I just question why Auburn Hills thinks they need the Jeep Patriot and the Jeep Compass when it's likely going to be at the same store that already has the Dodge Caliber?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
SHACOS
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 838
Default

How many models do the other manufacturers have? 25 seems like a hell of a lot and frankly I don't think the designers at Chrysler can be or are that creative.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
LJS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
While I'll work on a separate new product thread later this morning, I couldn't help but think of many of the comments our member Ralph made when he first joined the forum. How can a dealer who sells 30 - 50 new cars per month manage to inventory 25 different models?
Or worse yet, how about a small rural store that sells 5-15 per month?
LJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
How many models do the other manufacturers have? 25 seems like a hell of a lot and frankly I don't think the designers at Chrysler can be or are that creative.
According to Automotive News, Toyota/Scion currently has 19 and Ford/Lincoln will have 21 once the Mercury division is eliminated.

Ironically, the 22 - 25 models the CJDR dealers will have doesn't include the vehicles the Fiat/Alfa dealer will be selling down the street. It's possible Marchionne could end up with 30+ models he need to support in the U.S. Quite a challenge for a company with less than 10% market share.

The second irony is Chrysler's fixation with Project Genesis. They're hell-bent to complete Genesis by the end of next year and then they're going to ask 100% of their dealers to support/inventory 22 - 25 different models. I don't follow the logic.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS View Post
Or worse yet, how about a small rural store that sells 5-15 per month?
Great point.

In fact, based on the June Sales Report for the West BC 80% of the dealers retailed fewer than 35 vehicles and over 50% retailed fewer than 20 vehicles. How can those stores be expected to support/inventory the full line of CJDR vehicles?

For those who love irony, what do you say about a company which takes a "scorched earth" approach to adding rejected dealers back to the network while they add brands and models like they're going out of style? More dealers don't add to an OEM's fixed expenses, but more brands and models sure do.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
steve_biegler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Great point.

In fact, based on the June Sales Report for the West BC 80% of the dealers retailed fewer than 35 vehicles and over 50% retailed fewer than 20 vehicles. How can those stores be expected to support/inventory the full line of CJDR vehicles?

For those who love irony, what do you say about a company which takes a "scorched earth" approach to adding rejected dealers back to the network while they add brands and models like they're going out of style? More dealers don't add to an OEM's fixed expenses, but more brands and models sure do.
Maybe we should have the government look into that?
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
79LilRedExpress
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 711
Default

20 models wouldn't be so bad if each model didnt have 5 or 6 packages.
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 Dodge (?) jdemonto Sales 12 09-30-2011 03:04 PM
2012 Discontinued Models ohiobuckeyes Automotive Discussions 12 09-23-2011 07:34 PM
Alfa Romeos return to the U.S. delayed until 2013 XDCX Sales 14 09-22-2011 11:55 AM
Up to four new Models in Italy now Ralph Sales 5 02-11-2010 11:21 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright DealershipForum.com - 2008 - 2016