Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #16
CL Pgh

Seen this Dodge commercial a couple times yesterday during the games... sure hope the 60sec. SB spot is leaps & bounds ahead of this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTomuikWvFk
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #17
ohiobuckeyes

Oh No Thinking it is time to abonded ship. Why would you not use that spot time to adverstie the RAM HD Trucks a Motor Trend Award Winner. The Charger is the most dead in the water car Chrysler Group makes. We have not stocked on for 3 years.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #18
F&I Pro

They were great at saying what they're not...even my 22yo son stated they were wasting their money and should probably invest that money somewhere else.
F&I Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #19
possum

There are several variations of this Chager ad, and they are all terrible, quiet, almost dark. Somebody needs to help these folks.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #20
Ralph

Just when I though things couldn't get much more bleak...I watched that Charger ad Cl Pgh posted. It's got to be a joke or a spoof, that's not the new direction that the advertising is taking I hope?

Does anyone in Detroit look at the sales figures nationally? 25th of the month and only at a third of December? And that is what they're going to tout for 5 million bucks at the SB? A still shot of a Charger sitting on a desolate parking garage roof with road noise in the background...and a voice over saying it's not a couples cooking class or a sprout salad? That is simply frightening. Sergio will definitely fulfill his prophecy of a freefalling market share till it levels off on its own...at somewhere around a mass wave of chapter 7 filings of dealerships all over the country.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #21
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
There are several variations of this Chager ad, and they are all terrible, quiet, almost dark. Somebody needs to help these folks.
Your description of the commercials being dark really hit home for me. The voice-over has the tone and tempo that would be more fitting for a documentary describing a war crimes than a car commercial.

I hate to always sound like I'm anti-Chrysler, but these commercials are horrible. If you watch the commercial in CL's YouTube link you'll see commercials for the Caravan and Journey are also available and equally bad.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #22
XDCX
Administrator

Question The AutoExtremist loves the new Charger commercials

As I've stated on this forum countless times, I'm a big fan of the AutoExtremist and find that I'm in agreement with him 80+% of the times.

Here's an example where we disagree - He loves the new Charger commercials.

Here's an excerpt from his comments about the commercials - "With pitch-perfect voiceover work by Michael C. Hall of "Dexter" fame and some excellent copywriting, the spots are worth noting, especially the one entitled, "Man Bag."
Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #23
crowe

The charger spot is an improvement over the political prisoner 300 spot but they have a long way to go to get the needle moving.
I’m not sure Chrysler understands how dire the current level of dealer confidence is.
I think they better get it all together soon; time is not on anybody’s side at their current sales levels.
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #24
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe View Post
I’m not sure Chrysler understands how dire the current level of dealer confidence is.
I think they better get it all together soon; time is not on anybody’s side at their current sales levels.
I agree. In fact, I'm going to start a new thread based on the story I just read in Automotive News.

Concerning the Super Bowl, I sure hope the commercial is for more than just the Charger. A 60 second spot on the entire Dodge line-up would make sense, 60 seconds on the Charger would seem like a poor business decision.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:34 AM   #25
Ralph

If you have only one bullet in the gun...you'd better hit the densest part of the market with it. 5 million to promote the Charger would be as effective as using it for the PT Cruiser. Doubling Charger sales as a result of the worlds best ads....( a pretty good return on investment I'd say), would add about 1/4 of one unit to every dealer's sales.

How about...full line Chrysler promotion, "We're here to stay", "We have the products and warranties you want", "Look at how each of these vehicles are the one's you want and need", "This is how we are better than the competition". I just can't see spending all your ad dollars on one, older, very tiny bit of the market vehicle.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:40 AM   #26
ssdd

I was told yesterday by sebc staff, it will be a heavy duty ram spot...
We can only hope...
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #27
LJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdd View Post
We can only hope...
I would love that. Until the new HD came out and they jacked the price up and cut the rebate from $6,000 to $1,000, it was 80% of our new sales. HD trucks and cab & chassis are what kept us afloat. We've got the best one in the business now, we just need to tell somebody about it and put a little cash on the hood. It is the freshest and most exciting thing we have got and I have a whole front row of them out here. If they would remove their head from their rear end they could come up with something pretty awesome.
LJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #28
Txflyer

Quote:
We can only hope...
I hope you are right. This truck is a home-run hitter but nobody knows about it yet.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #29
dodgequality

Treasury secretary hears complaints about Chrysler Super Bowl ad
Congress hasn't shown any signs of staying out of the auto business.

Rep. Dean Heller, R-Nev., this week wrote to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner complaining that Chrysler, which received $12 billion in a government bailout, plans to run a Super Bowl ad that will cost around $2.5

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0dv8Gxfq0
dodgequality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #30
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
We can only hope...
I hope you're right too...

Advertising the Ram on the Super Bowl should be a "no-brainer" for Chrysler. Not only is it a fantastic truck that has minimal public awareness, it's a vehicle the dealers actually have in inventory.

It's like Ralph said in his post, even if Chrysler doubled the sales of the Charger as a result of the ad it still wouldn't amount to much. Based on a review of the Top 50 Dodge Dealers in the nation last month, the #1 Charger dealer sold 13 units with most dealers selling six or less.