Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 05-15-2015, 06:14 AM   #16
57years

Not quite...OLDGM gave rent, as shown on your monthly statement, until the end of your contract period, OCT 31, of the year following. GM called it the "wind-down" funds, and never publicly stated how they calculated it. The calculation to rent is too close not to have been the determining factor. Until the end of the contract period, Dealer could do customer warranty work, sell his existing new vehicles (as new), and order parts.

Dealer could order NO vehicles, and vehicles then currently on order were diverted away. For all practical purposes, he was out of business, entitled to munch on the parts inventory he had in stock (no compensation), watching all the go-forward dealers call and steal his many year customer base, even though it was GM "policy" not to disclose who was closing, every go-forward salesperson was telling every customer they saw or could reach, that the die was cast.

GM began sending letters to customers, telling them they "were losing their dealer" and to try "X" dealer for future needs.

As an additional insult, NEWCOGM downloaded all customer records to their own data base, then provided service history to go-forward dealers. Customer began receiving service "due" notices from NEWCO Dealers, so even the most diehard loyal customer was taken away from any dealer who wanted to try and make a go of it as used, and service only.

There was more, but not today....
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:51 AM   #17
57years

I SHOULD ADD, the "wind-down" funds, as a pittance as they were from smaller dealers, was after the OLDCO-GM dealers saw DCX give NOTHING BUT THE BACK OF THEIR HAND to their 789 dealers. The offer of the money was conditioned by the dealer signing a complete and total release of OLDCO-GM and the GOVERNMENT for any "taking" as contemplated in the U.S. Constitution, therefore, few Former GM Dealers saw any possibility of outside recovery or future legal success. Result was blind signing away of their rights for the money. Few OLDC)-GM dealers refused the money, so are not part of the current lawsuit against the Government.
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:10 AM   #18
steve_biegler

I've always said, they shot the 789 in the head and shot the GM guys in the gut! Not really sure which is worse.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:57 AM   #19
Txflyer

As one of the screwed GM guys, I have tried to put all of this behind me and move on. I left the auto business behind and started working at an insurance agency, and last fall took the leap and opened my own independent insurance agency.

I chose to move on, but like many others I will never forgive GM for what they did to us. Nor will I forget what Chrysler did to our fellow dealers. I will NEVER buy another new vehicle from either company, and now own a Subaru and a Nissan.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:11 PM   #20
TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

From my own personal experiences as a customer, and from what I am hearing from all of you, it all just compels me to want to go ahead and manufacture my own vehicles. Aside from finally getting the quality and reliability I have longed for in a vehicle I design, I just love the idea of giving the giant middle finger to these bloated corporations.

I sure as hell would know how I would want my own version of a Wrangler to look like.
TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:57 AM   #21
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
The offer of the money was conditioned by the dealer signing a complete and total release of OLDCO-GM and the GOVERNMENT for any "taking" as contemplated in the U.S. Constitution, therefore, few Former GM Dealers saw any possibility of outside recovery or future legal success. Result was blind signing away of their rights for the money. Few OLDC)-GM dealers refused the money, so are not part of the current lawsuit against the Government.
That's interesting.

I knew there was a reason why the GM OLDCO dealers were not allowed to participate in the lawsuit against the Treasury but I wasn't sure of the exact reason why. I guess this explains why the limited number of GM OLDCO dealers who refused to sign the wind-down agreement are eligible to participate in lawsuit.

In some ways the fact that the Task Force wanted to plug-up a hole they left with the Chrysler dealers when they did their deal with the GM dealers strengthens the case the Chrysler OLDCO dealers have against the Treasury. It's like the Task Force knew the U.S. Government was vulnerable to a lawsuit they just were not smart enough to catch it in time with the Chrysler OLDCO dealers.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #22
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
I've always said, they shot the 789 in the head and shot the GM guys in the gut! Not really sure which is worse.
Sadly, that's a perfect analogy.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #23
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
As one of the screwed GM guys, I have tried to put all of this behind me and move on. I left the auto business behind and started working at an insurance agency, and last fall took the leap and opened my own independent insurance agency.

I chose to move on, but like many others I will never forgive GM for what they did to us. Nor will I forget what Chrysler did to our fellow dealers. I will NEVER buy another new vehicle from either company, and now own a Subaru and a Nissan.
Congratulations on starting your own agency.

As it relates to "forgive and forget" I think it's a personal decision - it's easier for some to let go than others.

For me, the only way for me to maintain my mental health is to hope that Karma settles the score at some point and accomplishes what the government and the legal system have failed to do.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #24
srt

Default Time is passing

I'm one who deeply feels a need to settle up and try as I may, I won't let go until that time arrives. Here we are with the president on his way out after a second term and the government continues to try and dismiss the legal action. This is not the way to operate when paying lip service to justice. What a sight it was watching 12 Justice Dept attorneys passing post-it notes at a furious pace among themselves during testimony. It is a real perversion of what is right, morally and legally. To top it off the lead attorney quotes a case to shore up the government argument only to be told by the dealers counsel that that case had been over tuned. This is very embarrassing for a lawyer in front of a judge. The discovery in the case is massive and will certainly take a great deal of time.
Enough, enjoy the summer.
srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #25
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt View Post
To top it off the lead attorney quotes a case to shore up the government argument only to be told by the dealers counsel that that case had been over tuned. This is very embarrassing for a lawyer in front of a judge.
That must have been awesome - I would have loved to have been there and witness that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt View Post
The discovery in the case is massive and will certainly take a great deal of time.
While I'm no expert my hunch is the Government will settle the case if it reaches the point of discovery.

In the eyes of the people making that decision it's not their money and there's a real risk that something will be said in discovery that will make the whole Chrysler/GM bankruptcy saga front page news again. The Obama administration has managed to put a "happy-spin" on the bailouts and wouldn't want to risk losing all of that good PR.

Furthering my hunch, is my belief that some of the people who would be compelled to give testimony are not too sharp and would perform poorly on the witness stand. My bet is Nardelli, Landry, Press and Grady would be ripped to shreds under cross-examination.

As before, it's been a long and grueling process but I continue to hope that some of the OLDCO dealers will see justice.