Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
jayhawk

Default A "Must Read" for Chrysler Dealers - Today's AutoExtremist.com

A MUST READ; TODAYS AUTOEXTREMIST.COM - very interesting!!
jayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
A MUST READ; TODAYS AUTOEXTREMIST.COM - very interesting!!
I'll create a new thread so more of our members will see your post and have a chance to comment on Peter De Lorenzo's article.

I saw the article this morning but haven't had a chance to read it yet - I enjoy De Lorenzo's writing style and like to read his articles when I have uninterrupted time.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Here's a link to the AutoExtremist.com - click here

(The article referred to in this thread is the "Rants" Column dated 08/10/10)
Old 08-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
crowe

I read his post last night. I never miss a week.
I think it’s one of the most entertaining, insightful & informative sites in the car business. (Right up there w/ this one)
Unfortunately, this week I am afraid he may right again.
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe View Post
I read his post last night. I never miss a week.
I think it’s one of the most entertaining, insightful & informative sites in the car business. (Right up there w/ this one)
Unfortunately, this week I am afraid he may right again.
I agree on all counts.

Concerning this week's column, De Lorenzo's "preaching to the choir" when it comes to the members here. How's the average dealer going to support 22 - 25 models when Chrysler likes to offer four to six different trim packages for each model?

To the extent that I truly believe Marchionne is an intelligent man, it begs the question, what's his agenda? Trojan Horse?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
srt

Kinda reinforces the whole Genesis deal.
srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt View Post
Kinda reinforces the whole Genesis deal.
I'm not sure I follow your point.

In my opinion having that many models defeats the whole goal of Project Genesis. Back when Press was first pitching the concept I remember his rationale was Chrysler couldn't afford to support too many models so they wanted to consolidate the franchises and eliminate "badge engineering."
Old 08-12-2010, 06:06 AM   #8
steve_biegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I'm not sure I follow your point.

In my opinion having that many models defeats the whole goal of Project Genesis. Back when Press was first pitching the concept I remember his rationale was Chrysler couldn't afford to support too many models so they wanted to consolidate the franchises and eliminate "badge engineering."
Everyone needs to quit using logic or common sense with these corprate pinheads. its very obvious that common sense is not very common at Chrysler.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:22 AM   #9
DealerEx

Agree with Xman....the original justification for Genesis was to eliminate the duplicate clone models in all 3 brands (ie..Dodge Spirit/Plymouth Acclaim/Chrysler LeBaron)...as recently as 2 years ago they were explaining how Dodge would be the Truck brand, Chrysler would handle the Car lines and Jeep would be the SUV brand. "Badge engineering" just about ruined GM's credibilty in the 80's (think about Cadillac trying to sell people a Cavalier in Cimmarron disguise). The Genesis project was supposed to give each dealer the ability to sell a full line of products, without having all the duplication of models for each brand.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
jayhawk

paranoia does not live here,,,but,,,if each brand has 5 to 8 specific models,, does it make it easier to perhaps sell off a brand or two to a chinese or indian mfgr. , facilitating their entry into the U.S. market?? comments??
jayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
srt

Wink My Apology

I was being facetious as the company has been on this mission for single stores and is now creating an unusual mix for those same stores. You have to wonder if the prior model [dual distribution] would not work better for a number of reasons.
srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
paranoia does not live here,,,but,,,if each brand has 5 to 8 specific models,, does it make it easier to perhaps sell off a brand or two to a chinese or indian mfgr. , facilitating their entry into the U.S. market?? comments??
Possible, but in my opinion not likely. The fact that GM was not able to sell off Saturn makes me think there's little likelihood Marchionne would be able to sell off a fledgling brand. In my opinion Saturn was the PERFECT opportunity for a foreign auto manufacturer to set up operations in the U.S. and I'm still amazed GM wasn't able to sell it off.

That said, taken at face value, Marchionne's distribution plans make no sense at all. How can an OEM with less than 10% market share support as many as 30 different models? (25 at Chrysler and 5 at Fiat/Alfa)

Either he's not as smart as everyone says he is or there's a hidden agenda. My bet is on the latter.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #13
Txflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Either he's not as smart as everyone says he is or there's a hidden agenda. My bet is on the latter.
Agreed, and that (along with the economy) sure has taken the fun out of this business. Too many hidden agendas and not enough honest good business practices. It seems like you can't take anything at face value anymore, you've always got to be looking for the angle.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt View Post
I was being facetious as the company has been on this mission for single stores and is now creating an unusual mix for those same stores. You have to wonder if the prior model [dual distribution] would not work better for a number of reasons.
No apology necessary, I just didn't detect your sarcasm in your first post and wanted to make sure I understood your point.

Concerning the prior distribution model, I think it worked pretty damn good. I used to be envious of single point Dodge stores because they sold more vehicles than the full line store I worked at and didn't have to work as hard. (Fewer models to inventory, less training, etc.)