Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Picture of '11 Chrysler 300 front-end on the Service Contract P&E Guide?

I guess you know the market's starved for product information when a picture on the front page of Chrysler Service Contract's Price and Eligibility guide generates Internet banter.

The Examiner.com has a report which includes a picture of the front page of the new CSC Price and Eligibility guide. The picture is what appears to be the front-end of the '11 Chrysler 300. Here's a link to the report - click here

I have several thoughts relating to this story:

First, this wouldn't be the first time one Chrysler's divisions leaked a picture of a new product - Mopar did the same thing with the '09 Ram when they released their Accessory Guide a few years ago.

Second, this picture really isn't new - it's just a better version of an image that was first shown at the Detroit Auto Show.

Third, I'm getting the impression the changes to the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger are not as significant as we've been lead to believe. I'm thinking reports last year that Marchionne order major redesigns are mostly B.S. - I bet these vehicles are mostly unchanged from what Cerberus already had in the works.

Fourth, I still think the concept of hiding future product is insane. How did keeping the '11 Grand Cherokee hidden help with the vehicle's launch? While the '11 GC is a great vehicles I don't think the same can be said for the vehicle's launch or the initial sales response.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
LJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Fourth, I still think the concept of hiding future product is insane. How did keeping the '11 Grand Cherokee hidden help with the vehicle's launch? While the '11 GC is a great vehicles I don't think the same can be said for the vehicle's launch or the initial sales response.
Most of my customers still don't even know there is a new Grand Cherokee a couple months after the launch. And since I've had three on order for a few months and they are still not here there is not much point in me pushing them yet.
LJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
ohiobuckeyes

Wow never noticed....It is a more interal book then a public one, so how many f&i guys are going to show they customer this picture?
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckeyes View Post
Wow never noticed....It is a more interal book then a public one, so how many f&i guys are going to show they customer this picture?
While some F&I Managers may use the ABC version of the P&E Guide to show customers the retail prices of the service contracts, mostly the P&E guide is an internal document for the dealerships.

I just thinks it's funny that something as obscure as the image of the front of the P&E Guide generates Internet banter. The people who follow Chrysler must be starved for information...

GM, by contrast, has shown images of the Chevrolet Volt almost a full year before the vehicle would ever reach the showrooms. Maybe I'm old-school but I like GM's approach better.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
jdemonto

I think its better not to show a production car 3 years early. When the car finally makes the market consumers may feel like its a old design. I follow the new cars have been for years and the new 300 and charger are a evolution of a once popular product not a full blown remake of a current car...hence revolution. I think the changes on all of our new product is enough to generate showroom traffic.

Jason

Last edited by jdemonto; 08-31-2010 at 10:48 PM.
jdemonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:00 AM   #6
Ralph

I hope it's a winner. I have seen some really terrible launches over the years however. It's not the vehicles that I'm criticizing by any means, just that the management decisions concerning the launches have crippled the rigs before they get into the general public's hands. Pacifica, the first Grand Cherokee, the latest Grand Cherokee, etc...ect...ect...

But, maybe this one will come off better, I hope so.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote