Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 03-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
OutDrive.ca

Default What's the response so far to the Fiat 500

Wondering what the response has been like at Chrysler dealers that are going to be selling the Fiat 500, both on the customer side as well as the dealership/service side? is there a technician's revolt in the works similar to what was seen @ Mercedes when the Smart ForTwo first showed up? I know that locally the Prima Edizione has sold out, although they've had at least one person back out of their deposit.
OutDrive.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

I think it's still too early to tell. As I understand it Chrysler's running a little behind schedule and the first Fiat 500s available for retail delivery are still a week or so away.

Personally, I liked the Fiat 500 when I first heard about it and I still like the car today. That said, I think Marchionne's demand for a separate dealer network is INSANE and it's really clouded my perspective.

If 100% of Chrysler's dealers had access to the Fiat 500 I'd be hoping for the cars success. As it stands, I've mostly lost interest in the vehicle and I wouldn't shed a tear if it got crushed in the marketplace.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
jayhawk

how many fiat based products are being built& sold by CHRYSLER dealers today vs how many chrysler products are being built& sold by
fiat/ lancia dealers today???
jayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
how many fiat based products are being built& sold by CHRYSLER dealers today vs how many chrysler products are being built& sold by
fiat/ lancia dealers today???
I think that's one of the reasons our member (and former Chrysler dealer) Ralph stopped following up on Chrysler - the disparity of product flow would drive him insane. It was a pet-peeve of his from day one and it's turned out to be just as lop-sided as he feared.

Marchionne slaughtered all of the dealers in Europe who had dealer agreements with the old Chrysler and now he's exporting the Jeeps, Chrysler 300 and Chrysler Town and Country to his Fiat/Lancia dealers. In fact, Automotive News had an article a week or so ago indicating that Marchionne needs these vehicles to reverse the sales slide his brands have been experiencing in Europe.

As I recall, the first Fiat based vehicle for ALL the Chrysler dealers won't arrive until the end of this year - I think it's a small car that will be branded as a Dodge.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
FixedOpsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
As I recall, the first Fiat based vehicle for ALL the Chrysler dealers won't arrive until the end of this year - I think it's a small car that will be branded as a Dodge.
Dodge ONLY ??? What are they planning for entry level Chrysler products? The 200? I hope not...especially when it's priced at at 20K+.

The stand-alone C/J dealers must LOVE their product line-up so far.
FixedOpsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Marchionne slaughtered all of the dealers in Europe who had dealer agreements with the old Chrysler and now he's exporting the Jeeps, Chrysler 300 and Chrysler Town and Country to his Fiat/Lancia dealers. In fact, Automotive News had an article a week or so ago indicating that Marchionne needs these vehicles to reverse the sales slide his brands have been experiencing in Europe.
I forgot to add the Chrysler 200 and the Dodge Journey to the list.

Based on this quick review it's possible that Europe's Fiat Dealers will have five re-badged Chryslers to sell before the U.S. Chrysler dealers receive their first Fiat based vehicle.

In fairness I've read that it's easier to certify a U.S. vehicle to meet Euro specs as opposed to the other way around, but I still don't think Chrysler's made much of an effort to fast-track new product for the U.S. dealers. Maybe I'm wrong - time will tell...
Old 03-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedOpsGuy View Post
Dodge ONLY ??? What are they planning for entry level Chrysler products? The 200? I hope not...especially when it's priced at at 20K+.
Here's a link for the story about the Fiat based Dodge that will arrive by the end of this year - click here (Subscription to Automotive News may be required.)

According to the report the vehicle will be built in the U.S. and equipped with the Fiat 1.4 liter engine. It will be smaller than the Caliber and Chrysler will offer a version that gets at least 40 MPG so Fiat can get a 5% equity bonus from the U.S. Government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedOpsGuy View Post
The stand-alone C/J dealers must LOVE their product line-up so far.
I wouldn't hold your breath for an entry level Chrysler.

Initially it was Chrysler's plan to limit the brand offerings to force dealers to consolidate to Genesis - I don't know if that's still their strategy or not?
Old 03-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #8
OutDrive.ca

Its definitely an interesting time for Chrysler as a brand... and it sure shows that the times are changing. the enthusiasm I've heard regarding the new Fiat has been widespread, whereas I cant remember the last time i heard speaking enthusiastically about a Chrysler. Hopefully the old line of "Fix It Again Tony" doesn't come back to haunt.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
JoeRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDrive.ca View Post
is there a technician's revolt in the works similar to what was seen @ Mercedes when the Smart ForTwo first showed up?
I can't speak for anyone else, but here we're all pretty positive about it in the fixed ops side.

Sure, the Service Manager isn't too thrilled about the Special Tools and I'm not to thrilled about a 450+ part number initial parts shipment with no room to put the stuff..... but itz k. We'll figure it out as usual. Hopefully the little bastard will sell great and we'll stay busy.
JoeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
OutDrive.ca

i wouldn't be surprised to see it do well. after all the bad luck and bad press the Japanese market has seen, and how little there is on the market in that micro-car segment other than the Japanese, this seems like it would be an easy alternative for many.