Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 07-22-2015, 07:04 AM   #1
steve_biegler

Default Jeep hack.

Has anyone had serious customer backlash on the Cherokee hack?

I'm just wondering what the general public and more specifically owners are thinking.

When I see stuff like this it almost makes me happy not to be in the game anymore!
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
DealerEx

My wife drives a 2014 Grand Cherokee LTD 4x4 and she saw it and was very concerned. she's paranoid about all types of online security issues and sent the video to me. I think the two guys are trying to make some money from the manufacturers by finding weak spots and showing them how to fix them.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
TNtech

People are burning the damn phones up at the dealership.

Having "info-tainment" on the main BUS is incredibly ignorant. We all saw this coming.
TNtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

I was taking some time away from the forum when the Jeep Hack was in the news and never responded to this thread.

I tend to get most of my news via the Internet - mostly through a Google News Feed. When I first saw the headline I was mostly dismissive thinking that the "hack" would be limited to minor things like locking the doors or changing the radio station.

I was amazed when I saw the video - steering, brakes and acceleration were all able to be controlled remotely.

While it seems there are other OEMs that have since had their cars "hacked" I think the public will most likely think of Jeep when they discuss this concern.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNtech View Post
Having "info-tainment" on the main BUS is incredibly ignorant. We all saw this coming.
I agree - it seems foolish that "info-tainment" would share the same BUS with critical vehicle tasks but I think Boeing had the same issue with one of their airliners that could be hacked using an port that was meant to provide "info-tainment" to their passengers.

I'm not 100% up to speed with all of the details concerning the Jeep Hack. My understanding is the hack can only be accomplished on vehicles that have wireless Internet access and the hacker has to know the IP Address of the vehicle in order to remotely control it.

If my understanding is correct, I can't understand why a customer would want wireless 4G access to come from their vehicle when it could just as easily come from a smartphone and not have the downside risk of being vulnerable to hacking.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Default One of the two hackers is in the news

One of the two hackers who made headlines last month with the "Jeep Hack" is back in the news.

Charlie Miller, who used to work for the NSA, was in the news because it was revealed that he is leaving Twitter where he's worked the last three years. For the full report - click here

Interestingly, the story indicates the hackers efforts to control the Jeep remotely had been coordinated with FCA in advance. Seems strange to me that if FCA had been in on this hacking effort from the beginning they would have allowed it to turn into the PR nightmare it became.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Default Jeep Hackers are headed to Uber

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Charlie Miller, who used to work for the NSA, was in the news because it was revealed that he is leaving Twitter where he's worked the last three years. For the full report - click here
As a follow-up to the post I quoted above, it turns out that both hackers who were able to remotely take control of a Jeep are now working for Uber. Here's a link to the full news report - click here

Uber, a company with huge resources, has 40 robotics engineers on staff and they're working hard to develop autonomous vehicles. The hackers who compromised the Jeep have been employed to ensure that the Uber designed systems have strong hacker defense capabilities.

On a side note, I just read that a company that tracks Corporate Expense Reports indicates that major companies are now spending more money with Uber than they are with traditional taxis.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Default NHTSA indicates FCA was only OEM with Cyber Vulnerability

According to a news report the NHTSA has just completed their investigation and they've concluded that Chrysler/FCA was the only OEM with cyber vulnerability.

For the full report - click here

The NHTSA report concluded that the vulnerability was exploited via radio head units that were supplied by Harman International. Harmon also provided similar head units for installation in Volkswagen, Audi and Bentley vehicles but those vehicles had safeguards to prevent cyber attacks.

It seems that the story of the "Jeep Hack" has faded from the public's mind and it certainly doesn't appear to have drawn away too many sales give the Jeep brand's recent performance.