Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Epic Road Trip - Seattle to Phoenix to Seattle

Sorry for being away from the forum but I've been recouping from an epic road trip that took me from Seattle to Phoenix and back to Seattle in six days.

I racked up 2,862 miles and managed to burn 327 gallons of gas. In case you're wondering, yes, it is possible to get 6.35 MPG in an old Dodge pickup with a 318 if you're pulling a heavy load up the Rockies. (I averaged 8.8 MPG for the entire trip with a segment of 14.0 MPG when I was returning to Seattle without a load.)

The old Dodge ran flawlessly but it clearly wasn't too happy about having a fully loaded bed and my '78 Plymouth Fury in tow. It did OK on the flat surfaces at sea level but didn't do so well at 6,000+ feet climbing the Rockies and running on 85 Octane gas. I'll know better next time and stick to I-5 - it may be further in miles but it's a lot easier on the truck because the mountain passes are lower.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
steve_biegler

Glad you are back! I was beginning to wonder
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
Yeah, me too. I am glad your trip did not run into an major problems.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
Yeah, me too. I am glad your trip did not run into an major problems.
Thanks for the concern.

I've been busy helping my parents with their move to Arizona and haven't had much time to spend on the forum.

My schedule should free-up in the very near future and I'm looking forward to adding some content to the forum.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Default Almost 5GB of Verizon Data Consumed....

While my trusty Dodge was gulping gas at an alarming rate I noticed my trusty Motorola Razr Maxx was gulping Verizon's LTE Data as well....

I consumed almost 5GB of data during the trip - mostly from Google Maps and Pandora.

I rarely consume more than 2GB per month but this trip is a good reminder why it's still nice to have Unlimited Data.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
mr4t60e

As much as I was against all things smartphone in the past, I must now sheepishly admit that I would never want to consider taking any kind of long drive without one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
While my trusty Dodge was gulping gas at an alarming rate I noticed my trusty Motorola Razr Maxx was gulping Verizon's LTE Data as well....

I consumed almost 5GB of data during the trip - mostly from Google Maps and Pandora.

I rarely consume more than 2GB per month but this trip is a good reminder why it's still nice to have Unlimited Data.
mr4t60e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4t60e View Post
As much as I was against all things smartphone in the past, I must now sheepishly admit that I would never want to consider taking any kind of long drive without one.
I totally agree.

Between the mapping/navigation, the ability to stream music, read news and keep up on email it makes the trip much more enjoyable.