Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 05-13-2019, 04:45 AM   #1
steve_biegler

Default A decade past.

A decade ago the letters were drafted and sent with UPS to 789 dealers that were about to lose their life's work. It's so hard to believe it has been 10 years since that tragic day. I know the 14th is the day we recieved the letter but I will always remember the date on the top of the letter as the date of the final decision.

The trial with the government has ended. From what I've seen so far the dealer's attorneys did a wonderful job. Much of the trial is boring to listen to but I have decided not to jump ahead, I don't want to miss anything.

I plan on adding to this post in the next few days. In the mean time I plan on doing as I have done in past years! At 9:00 PM Central time tonight I wish you would join me in a toast to all of the dealers that were effected by this theft of our personal property by our government and "business partner" Chrysler. Choose a beverage of choice and raise your glass to those that have passed, those that have been strong enough to move on and to those of us who can't.

Thanks to X-man for keeping the forum up for us to keep in touch.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #2
possum

The "789" was a terrible, wasteful, sacrifice.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:17 PM   #3
DealerEx

When they killed "the 789", they killed many of the longtime "family dealers" that had kept them from going bankrupt during the first bailout, and in doing so they also killed what remained of the heart and soul of the company. Before the merger with Daimler, almost all the dealers had a personal relationship with everyone at the Zone Office. We were all on a first name basis and considered ourselves friends - not just business aquaintances. At marketing meetings we all spent time with each other after the meetings ended, and had a "few" drinks and figured out solutions and ways to work around different issues we faced that worked for both the dealers and the factory. That relationship started changing within a few months after the merger and went downhill rapidly from that point.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
steve_biegler

DealerEx you are spot on! If you want a great insight to what happened read "Taken for a ride" really pretty unbelievable. If you want to go further back read "Last American President" for a glimpse into the American Motors, Renault MERGER! Great books if you are interested in the history we lived.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote