Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 12-06-2016, 09:29 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default College Football - 2016

I guess you can tell that I've been slacking off from the forum when it's almost the end of the year and the UW Huskies are ranked #4 in the CFB and I haven't posted a single thread...

I was going to post a thread earlier in the season but I was afraid I might jinx the Huskies if I pointed out their perfect record - a loss to USC solved that problem.

I'm super happy to see that the Huskies made the CFB Championship and I'm looking forward to seeing how they play against Alabama.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default Are we headed to an eight game championship playoff?

For those, like myself, who favor an expansion to an eight game championship for NCAA Football it's looking like the prospect is becoming more likely.

NCAA's President, Mark Emmert, has apparently indicated that he favors going from a four-team format to an eight-team format.

Given that there's an almost four week span between the last regular season game and the first championship game adding one more game to the schedule to accommodate the eight-team format seems like a no-brainer.

If we had an eight-team format this year it would likely have meant a rematch between Ohio State and Michigan and I bet there are a lot of people who'd love to see those two teams match up again after the controversial end of their last match-up.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
57years

Go Cards! Need more games for Lamar Jackson to run up more TDs. Team Dynamic has changed for last 5 games, something going on in locker room.
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default Super surprised that Steve Sarkisian will be Alabama's Offensive Coordinator

I was surprised to hear that Nick Saban selected Steve Sarkisian to replace Lane Kiffin as Alabama's Offensive Coordinator.

I was really happy when Sarkisian was announced as Washington'w Head Coach after Willingham was fired after a disasterous 0 - 12 losing season. Sark did a good job of getting Washington back on track and he proved to be a good recruiter.

As good as Sarkisian is, I don't think he's a great coach. As a Husky fan it was frustrating to see talented young recruits that never seemed to get any better from one season to the next. Additionally, Sarkisian occasionally had some very poor play calling and clock manangement issues.

Perhaps my biggest frustration was Sarkisian's inability to make adjustments at halftime and his inability to get his team ready for the big games.

It will be interesting to see how Sarkisian does at Alabama - my bet is it will be a short relationship but I've been wrong in the past.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Unhappy I already lost on my first two bets.....

I made a quick trip to Laughlin and made five bets on this weekend's College Football games. Thanks to Michigan's loss I've already lost my first two bets.

Will I go 0 and 5 like I have in the past - time will tell....

Here are my bets:

-- $20 on Michigan to win by more than 7 points pays $38.20 if I win and $0 if I lose
-- $20 on Washington to lose by less than 14 points pays $38.20 if I win and $0 if I lose
-- $20 on USC to win by more than 7 points pays $38.20 if I win and $0 if I lose
-- $20 parlay bet on the above three bets pays $140.00 if I win and $0 if I lose
-- $20 on Washington to beat Alabama pays $110.00 if I win and $0 if I lose

Since I had $14.60 left from my previous winning bets I decided I'd put that amount on a proposition bet for Washington to win the College Football Championship which will pay $189.90 if I win and $0 if I lose.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I made a quick trip to Laughlin and made five bets on this weekend's College Football games. Thanks to Michigan's loss I've already lost my first two bets.

Will I go 0 and 5 like I have in the past - time will tell....

Here are my bets:

-- $20 on Michigan to win by more than 7 points pays $38.20 if I win and $0 if I lose
-- $20 on Washington to lose by less than 14 points pays $38.20 if I win and $0 if I lose
-- $20 on USC to win by more than 7 points pays $38.20 if I win and $0 if I lose
-- $20 parlay bet on the above three bets pays $140.00 if I win and $0 if I lose
-- $20 on Washington to beat Alabama pays $110.00 if I win and $0 if I lose

Since I had $14.60 left from my previous winning bets I decided I'd put that amount on a proposition bet for Washington to win the College Football Championship which will pay $189.90 if I win and $0 if I lose.
For those of you keeping track at home I went 0 for 5 on my bets - 0 for 6 if you factor in my proposition bet. (Yes, a blind monkey throwing darts at a dart board would have done better..... )

While I knew my bets on Washington were more of an emotional bet than a logical one I really thought my bets on Michigan and USC would have paid off. (USC beat Penn State but failed to cover the spread.)

While I was happy to see USC beat Penn State it was cool to see Penn State rally in the second half - something they've done all season long. I think it's a sign of great coaching when a team is still convinced they can win even though they're losing at half time.

It was also cool to see Penn State do well despite the NCAA sanctions. When the announce crew was talking about NCAA sanctions I first thought they were talking about USC and the sanctions that came about because of Reggie Bush but they were talking about Penn State and the sanctions for the Sandusky sexual assault case.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
conn02

Seems to me that you had similar numbers last year
conn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by conn02 View Post
Seems to me that you had similar numbers last year
That's true. I seem to have the uncanny ability to pick the losers whenever I bet. I've had the same luck in the stock market.

Even with the losses I had a great trip to Laughlin and would do it all over again.

I'm looking forward to the Championship Game next Monday and if I were betting I'd probably be placing a bet on Clemson because they played so strong against USC. It will also be interesting to see how Alabama does now that Kiffin has departed and Sarkisian will be calling the offense.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I'm looking forward to the Championship Game next Monday and if I were betting I'd probably be placing a bet on Clemson because they played so strong against USC. It will also be interesting to see how Alabama does now that Kiffin has departed and Sarkisian will be calling the offense.
What a fantastic game - it was great to see Clemson win.

Concerning my quote above, Clemson never played USC, that was Penn State... (Clemson played Ohio State and shut out Urban Meyer for the first time in his head coaching career.)

Concerning my happiness for a Clemson victory, I'm not anti-Alabama but I am slightly anti-Sarkisian. I also think it's good for the sport to have someone beat Alabama and break their winning streak.

It's too bad I didn't have any money on the game - I might have actually had a winning bet for a change.