Go Back   DealershipForum.com > European Franchises > BMW > Sales

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
AR2

Thumbs up 2013 BMW 3 Series

I just wanted to know if BMW dealers are anxiously awaiting the new 3 Series sedan. I've been following this car when it was first shown to the public a couple of months ago and the more I learn about it, the more I love it. In my opinion, BMW created a masterpiece with this car. The new car has a cleaner design, better attention to detail, better interior, and better equipment choices than the previous model, all with the same or better performance (which is already impressive).

I also love the new 3 trim lines being offered - Sport, Modern, and Luxury. This aspect of the new 3 Series is what really got my attention. BMW has realized that the 3 Series customer doesn't fit into one category. Rather, BMW is offering different trim levels for those individuals with differing personalities.

I was thinking about getting a 328i x-drive coupe this year, but after playing around with the configurator for the 2013 sedan, I decided I will wait for the next generation coupe. I love the looks, the level of equipment, and the performance of the 2013 model. If pricing stays at the level of the 2013 sedan, I might be able to get the next generation 335i x-drive coupe for the price of the 2012 328i x-drive coupe I've been looking into. The only bad part is the waiting...

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...3/default.aspx

Last edited by AR2; 02-03-2012 at 07:04 PM.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I know as a buyer, I am excited! Can't wait!
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
I know as a buyer, I am excited! Can't wait!
I'm very excited as well! Unfortunately, I have to wait a year to see the coupe. Still, I will certainly check out the sedan when my local BMW dealer gets one in stock.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
CarguyCO

Long as we're talking BMWs...
thoughts on the twin turbo they use in 335xi starting in 08 I believe?
Reliability?

In the market for a coupe....08 or 09 probably to keep it where I want to keep it price wise....
CarguyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyCO View Post
Reliability?

In the market for a coupe....08 or 09 probably to keep it where I want to keep it price wise....
I don't know that much about BMWs, but I have heard that the turbos were a little problematic. I have also heard that the best way to own a BMW (or any German car) is to lease them so you don't have to worry about the maintenance costs later on. I can't say one way or the other since I've never owned a non-American car before. I guess I will find out soon enough. I do plan on leasing for 3 years anyway, so I hope to avoid any expensive maintenance costs.

For a pre-owned BMW, I'm not sure what is the best way to go. Your nearest BMW Client Advisor might be able to help out if you are going to a BMW dealership.

You may also want to check out the 328xi coupe with its 3.0 inline 6. This is what I was originally thinking about getting due to price and concerns over the 335xi's turbos. The 328xi drives just as nice and is still pretty quick.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
I don't know that much about BMWs, but I have heard that the turbos were a little problematic. I have also heard that the best way to own a BMW (or any German car) is to lease them so you don't have to worry about the maintenance costs later on. I can't say one way or the other since I've never owned a non-American car before. I guess I will find out soon enough. I do plan on leasing for 3 years anyway, so I hope to avoid any expensive maintenance costs.

For a pre-owned BMW, I'm not sure what is the best way to go. Your nearest BMW Client Advisor might be able to help out if you are going to a BMW dealership.

You may also want to check out the 328xi coupe with its 3.0 inline 6. This is what I was originally thinking about getting due to price and concerns over the 335xi's turbos. The 328xi drives just as nice and is still pretty quick.
If you're thinking about a new BMW you should check out the video that's part of this link - click here

The link above goes to BMW's website that explains the European Delivery Program and includes an awesome four minute video that explains the program. If you were ever thinking about taking a trip to Germany this might be an excellent opportunity. I think there are some savings (discounts and tax credits) that make this program very attractive.

I've also read that customers who lease their BMW can participate in the European Delivery Program and it makes sense for customers who typically "mile out" of their lease because the time vehicle is in-transit is part of the lease period.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
mr4t60e

I got out of the BMW dealer game back in '05 but my former coworkers mentioned that the high pressure fuel pumps on the '08 and up 335is are generally unreliable and sensitive to the quality of fuel you feed them. Some people have close to 100k miles without a failure, while others are on their 3rd or 4th pump. If I sunk all that money into a car like that, I'd be rather disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyCO View Post
Reliability?

mr4t60e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
If you're thinking about a new BMW you should check out the video that's part of this link - click here

The link above goes to BMW's website that explains the European Delivery Program and includes an awesome four minute video that explains the program. If you were ever thinking about taking a trip to Germany this might be an excellent opportunity. I think there are some savings (discounts and tax credits) that make this program very attractive.

I've also read that customers who lease their BMW can participate in the European Delivery Program and it makes sense for customers who typically "mile out" of their lease because the time vehicle is in-transit is part of the lease period.
Thank you for the link. I've never seen that on BMW's website before. I have heard about the European Delivery program and I understand BMW also offers a "driving school" type experience in South Carolina. I don't know if I will take them up on their offers or not, but I have a year to decide. I've also been to Germany (Munich, Bavaria) back when I was in High School, and I saw BMW's Headquarters when my host family took me on the Autobahn into Munich. It is a pretty impressive structure. It would be an awesome experience to have your new car delivered to you at BMW's world HQ campus.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Thank you for the link. I've never seen that on BMW's website before. I have heard about the European Delivery program and I understand BMW also offers a "driving school" type experience in South Carolina.
I don't know if it's still an option, but I've read in the past that BMW would allow customers to take advantage of the European Delivery program and then have the vehicle shipped to their South Carolina facility so they could experience the driving school too.

I don't know how BMW does it but I guess it's possible for a U.S. customer to take delivery of their new BMW at the facility in South Carolina and never visit the dealership where they initially bought the vehicle.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
AR2

Here is a great video for the new BMW 3 Series from the United Kingdom. I'm not sure if it is an advertisement or not, but it is very well done in my opinion. It distinctly shows the three available trim lines - luxury, sport, and modern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PShGW...yer_detailpage
Old 02-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Now I'm drooling. I'm thinking Euro delivery on an xDrive this time. Can't wait!
Old 02-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
AR2

Quote:
Now I'm drooling. I'm thinking Euro delivery on an xDrive this time. Can't wait!
I admit that I sit in front of the screen and watch this video (and another) when I need to be inspired. Whenever I am upset or depressed about the American auto industry, I know I can turn this video on and see a great car company doing great things. There is no "halftime in America" bs, new age design treatment, or gimmicks going on here. BMW just took its unmatched 3 Series and made it even better. Simple as that.

The anxiety that I am facing now is knowing that I have to wait a year for the coupe. If the same trim levels are offered on the coupe, I know I will go with the Luxury line on the 335i xDrive coupe in Imperial Blue with Beige leather.

Last edited by AR2; 02-19-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Great point on the halftime in America commercial. But, it's much easier to build a great product when you have a great product to start from.

Ford is getting there, but the others have a LONG way to go.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Here is a great video for the new BMW 3 Series from the United Kingdom. I'm not sure if it is an advertisement or not, but it is very well done in my opinion. It distinctly shows the three available trim lines - luxury, sport, and modern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PShGW...yer_detailpage
Thanks for the link - I enjoyed watching the YouTube video and agree that the new 3 Series looks awesome.

I've also noticed a few TV commercials for the new 3 Series - I think of this thread everytime I see one.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
AR2

Quote:
Great point on the halftime in America commercial. But, it's much easier to build a great product when you have a great product to start from.

Ford is getting there, but the others have a LONG way to go.
And that's the thing... how did BMW build a great product to begin with? What did they do differently to make it great from the very beginning when Detroit took four decades (or more) just to figure it out?

As far as I can tell, BMW never had to take bailout loans just to survive (unless that was during post WWII activities), nor did BMW need a Mercedes, FIAT or even Mitsubishi to come in and show them how to engineer a great car or how to run a profitable business. When you are buying a BMW, you are buying the German philosphy of "building superior products through hard work and pride". I know Detroit had that philosophy at the start of the auto industry where hard work and pride really meant something, but now... it should never have taken bankruptcy, the loss of brand image, and the destruction of peoples' lives to come out with "great products".

I do agree that Ford is getting there, and with a few exceptions, is my choice for a Detroit auto manufacturer that I wish to support.