Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Fong and Accavitti both leave Chrysler

The Detroit News is reporting that both Peter Fong and Mike Accavitti have left Chrysler.

I haven't had a chance to read all the news reports yet, but this is an odd development. Peter Fong was on the "fast-track" with Chrysler and was cited as an example of how Marchionne likes to promote talented people deep within the company.

Here's a link to the news report - click here
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default Were their press interviews the reason for their departure?

The Wall Street Journal released a story where they questioned if the interviews both Fong and Accavitti gave at the Frankfurt Auto Show may have played a role in their departure.

That's where Fong stated that Chrysler would be a "notch above" Cadillac and Lincoln and Accavitti stated that Dodge would be more like Lance Armstrong and less like a middle linebacker.

The WSJ story indicated that Marchionne typically keeps a tight rein on his executives.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
possum

I read where Fred Diaz takes over Dodge Truck. I worked with him on the DAA Board when he was at the South West Bus Center. He was a good guy, at least then.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
oldjeep

Maybe that "notch" came back to hurt him (Fong), when Fiat realized he was talking about Merkur and Cimmarron. Honestly, I thought Fong to be positive going forward with the interaction I had with him in MABC. He was immediate response and very helpful during my situation even though my May 14 call was a very terse NO to how we appeal the 'sentence'.
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
CL Pgh

This is a surprise! (More so on Fong) There's got to be more to it... let's see what surfaces in the next day or two???
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #6
ssdd

Accavitti seemed like he was desperate about the truck being successful at the truck drive away event here in the sebc...
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
ssdd

Read the last line...

Chrysler Group LLC today announces brand and commercial organization changes.

“The brand-focused strategy has been refined further with the unbundling of the Dodge Brand which now consists of the Dodge RAM Brand and the Dodge Car Brand organizations. This reorganization will allow us to protect and develop the unique nature of the product offerings within the Dodge Brand,” Mr. Sergio Marchionne, Chief Executive Officer, Chrysler Group LLC said.

Fred Diaz Jr. is appointed President and CEO, Dodge RAM Brand with profit and loss responsibility for the Dodge RAM product portfolio. Mr. Diaz will also be the lead executive for the Sales organization in the United States. He was previously the Director of the Denver Business Center. Mr. Diaz has been with the Company since 1989 in positions of increasing responsibility. The Company will announce Mr. Diaz’s replacement with a separate announcement.

Ralph Gilles is appointed President and CEO, Dodge Car Brand with profit and loss responsibility for the Dodge Car product portfolio. Mr. Gilles will continue to lead the Product Design organization of Chrysler Group which he joined in 1992.

Olivier Francois is appointed President and CEO, Chrysler Brand, with profit and loss responsibility for the Chrysler product portfolio. Mr. Francois joins the Company from Fiat Group Automobiles where he serves as head of the Lancia Brand, a position he retains. Mr. Francois will also be the lead executive for the Marketing organization with responsibility to coordinate worldwide marketing strategies, brand development and advertising for the Chrysler, Jeep®, Dodge Car and Dodge RAM brands. He will continue to lead these functions within Fiat Group Automobiles. Mr. Francois joined Fiat in 2005.

Michael Manley will continue as the President and CEO, Jeep Brand with profit and loss responsibility for the Jeep Brand product portfolio. Mr. Manley will also be the lead executive for the international activities of the Company outside of NAFTA and will be responsible for implementing the co-operation agreements for distribution of Chrysler Group products through Fiat’s international distribution network. Mr. Manley has been with Chrysler since 1998.

Joseph Veltri joins the Management Team as Head of Product Planning. Mr. Veltri started with the Company in 1988. His career has included positions in product planning, marketing, business strategy, and finance. He served most recently as Product Planning Lead and Head of Truck/SUV Planning.

Peter Fong, head of the Chrysler Brand has resigned for personal reasons. Michael Accavitti, head of the Dodge Brand has resigned to pursue other interests.
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
Maybe that "notch" came back to hurt him (Fong), when Fiat realized he was talking about Merkur and Cimmarron. Honestly, I thought Fong to be positive going forward with the interaction I had with him in MABC. He was immediate response and very helpful during my situation even though my May 14 call was a very terse NO to how we appeal the 'sentence'.
My bet is the Wall Street Journal has the inside story concerning the reason for the departures. At this point, that's the only explanation that makes sense.

I've heard a lot of good things about Fong, many of them from our members here. It seemed like he was being "groomed" to be Press' successor - I got that impression when he ran the last Conference Call.

That said, the "notch above" comment subjected Chrysler to a great deal of criticism for being such an unrealistic goal given their time and capital limitations. If Marchionne is the type of boss who doesn't like his people creating headlines, that may provide the reason for the departure of Fong and Accavitti.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
dodgequality

Peter Fong was always available, always forthright, accepted responsibility.
There was no hesitation on his part in taking full "blame" for our rejection letter.
dodgequality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgequality View Post
Peter Fong was always available, always forthright, accepted responsibility.
There was no hesitation on his part in taking full "blame" for our rejection letter.
I was thinking if you when I thought of dealers who had spoken highly of Peter Fong.

It would be really interesting to hear his thoughts on what's happening with Chrysler now that he's free to talk. I keep getting this strange feeling that the Dodge car brand and the Chrysler brand are going to be dropped and today's announcement is an indication of that decision.

Time will tell.....
Old 10-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Default I wonder if Chrysler will wait to fill the Denver BC position?

To the extent there have been rumors about Chrysler downsizing the number of Business Centers, I wonder if they'll wait to fill the position vacated by Diaz?

If Chrysler fills the position quickly then I'd have to assume they're committed to keeping eight Business Centers. If it takes several weeks before an announcement is made then I'd speculate there are plans to reduce the count from eight to four.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
dodgequality

This is getting like one of Obama's Town Meetings - utter confusion. As we said in the old days a massive clutter f**k.
Bloomberg reports that the company is being set up for Kaput!
dodgequality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #13
CL Pgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgequality View Post
Bloomberg reports that the company is being set up for Kaput!
I think Chrysler (or some version of) is safe for the next 3.5yrs. Too much at risk for Obama... he's already skidding in the polls daily... this would hang'em with the tax payers for sure! And then there's the UAW. I just don't see it happening any time soon.

CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #14
ohiobuckeyes

I was sorry to see Fong leave so quick he was on the webcast for the month and I start liking him and the way he promoted that brand. Maybe Chrysler and Dodge loss to much money in the last month and axed them but said it was person reasons.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL Pgh View Post
I think Chrysler (or some version of) is safe for the next 3.5yrs. Too much at risk for Obama... he's already skidding in the polls daily... this would hang'em with the tax payers for sure! And then there's the UAW. I just don't see it happening any time soon.

Excellent post - I agree 100%.

While I'm still not sure I trust Marchionne and I question Chrysler's long-term viability, I don't think the Task Force and the President wants to see Chrysler go through another bankruptcy.

My bet is if the situation continues to worsen the Task Force will step in and declare that Chrysler's not viable and suggest the company be split up. Fiat would end up with Jeep and Ram and the rest would be sold for scrap. The UAW would receive the proceeds and the tax payers would get screwed.

The thought that the Task Force could step in and sell off portions of Chrysler has already been hinted at in the media.

Hopefully the situation will improve and it won't be an issue.