Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 11-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Thumbs up Brilliant Dealer Promotion: "If Auburn shuts out Alabama, you Win"

I love these type of Dealer Promotions.

Lynch Toyota of Auburn has created a promotion where anyone who buys a new Toyota from the dealership between 11/19/13 and 11/29/13 will get their car for FREE if the Auburn Tigers shut-out Alabama's Crimson Tide. (I watched the ad again - the promotion is for any vehicle - new or used.)

Here's a link to the report in the USA Today that details the promotion - click here

If you get a chance, be sure to watch the Dealership's commercial on YouTube that's featured in the USA Today report. I think the commercial is awesome - it makes me want to believe that Auburn can repeat history and I can get my new Toyota for FREE.

I'd love to know what the Dealer has to pay for insurance coverage to run this promotion and whether the policy is one set fee or whether it's based on the number of vehicles sold or the total dollar value of the vehicles sold?

Even if the odds-makers were 99% confident that it would be impossible for Auburn to shut-out Alabama, that would still amount to an insurance premium of $200 - $300 per car.

I love college football and I love creative promotions. I hope Lynch Toyota sells a lot of cars...
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
squish

I see Victory Honda is doing the same for the Michigan Ohio State game this weekend too!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rial&hpt=hp_t3
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
I see Victory Honda is doing the same for the Michigan Ohio State game this weekend too!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rial&hpt=hp_t3
Thanks for the link - that was awesome.

I liked the part that so far Michigan hasn't recorded a shut-out all-season long and the lowest score Ohio State has put on the scoreboard is 31 points and they're averaging 48.7 points/game for the season. I think the lottery offers better odds than Michigan shutting out Ohio State....

I do wonder how much dealers have to pay for the insurance policy and who the underwriter is?
Old 12-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Unhappy No free cars this weekend......

While neither of the games in this thread resulted in a shut-out they were two of the best football games all season long.

With the Auburn promotion there was an added incentive that someone would win $25K in Auburn won - regardless of whether it was a shutout. So, there weren't any free cars as a result of these two promotions but at least someone won $25K.

I'd love to know how well these promotions worked for the two dealerships - I hope they both sold a ton of cars and generated a lot of excitement.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
squish

Just saw an article on MSN that s Seattle Dealer did a similar promotion for a Seahawk shutout of the Giants, and they did!!!

Article says the Policy cost $7,000.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/c...-giants-121613
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
DealerEx

I saw that too...said they (or insurance carrier) were on the hook for about $400,000 I believe. Bet the insurance premium will be a lot higher for the next dealer that wants to run it...lol
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Just saw an article on MSN that s Seattle Dealer did a similar promotion for a Seahawk shutout of the Giants, and they did!!!

Article says the Policy cost $7,000.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/c...-giants-121613
Thanks for the link - that was very interesting.

I was in Seattle that week and never heard a thing about the Jet Chevrolet promotion until after it was over. I was actually surprised the dealership only sold 20 cars in a four day period as part of the promotion. Jet Chevrolet is a large dealership that's located along Interstate 5 just South of Seattle - I would have thought they'd be selling 5+ cars per day without any promotion.

I also thought it was interesting that the 20 people who bought a car are not automatic winners - they're just entered into a lottery where 12 winners will be picked to win $35,000. The dealership also allowed people who didn't buy a car the opportunity to enter the lottery for legal reasons. (Each car buyers received 100 lottery entries and non car buyers received one entry.)

Perhaps most surprising was the relatively low insurance premium given the odds of a payout. The Giants had already been shut-out once this season and the Seahawks are at the top of their game right now.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
I saw that too...said they (or insurance carrier) were on the hook for about $400,000 I believe. Bet the insurance premium will be a lot higher for the next dealer that wants to run it...lol
As I mentioned in the post above, I really wonder how carefully the insurance provider studied the odds when they set that premium.

That said, it appears that payouts for these promotions are rare. Here's an excerpt I read in another report that covered the story:
According to ESPN, shutout giveaways in NFL games are pretty popular endeavors.

But the last time one of them actually worked was back in 2006, when World Furniture Mall in Illinois, gave away about $300,000 worth of furniture because it promised to cover consumer purchases up to $10,000 each made during the season-opening weekend if the Chicago Bears shut out the Green Bay Packers, which they did 26-0.

One of the costliest came in October 1999, when the Kansas City Chiefs' shutout of the San Diego Chargers resulted in electronic retailer BrandsMart giving away $425,000 worth of items, according to ESPN.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
steve_biegler

I wonder over a season what percentage of all the games played are shutouts?
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
birch3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Thanks for the link - that was awesome.

I liked the part that so far Michigan hasn't recorded a shut-out all-season long and the lowest score Ohio State has put on the scoreboard is 31 points and they're averaging 48.7 points/game for the season. I think the lottery offers better odds than Michigan shutting out Ohio State....

I do wonder how much dealers have to pay for the insurance policy and who the underwriter is?
American Hole In One is who we use for direct mail and golf tournaments. We've been using them for years and they are great to work with. This fall we had 2 back to back winners, one of each in 2 weeks. They have odds calculations for many applications, our 2 $25,000 payouts cost $300 to $600.
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by birch3x View Post
American Hole In One is who we use for direct mail and golf tournaments. We've been using them for years and they are great to work with. This fall we had 2 back to back winners, one of each in 2 weeks. They have odds calculations for many applications, our 2 $25,000 payouts cost $300 to $600.
Thanks for the information.

That must have been awesome (from your dealership's perspective) to have two back-to-back "Hole in One" winners. I'm guessing it wasn't so awesome for the insurance company. (They'll have to write a lot of policies to cover those losses.)

Does American Hole In One require video proof of the hole in one or is there some other method they use to verify the winner's claim?
Old 12-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
zep33

I hit the pin earlier this year in a tournament we sponsored. I guess being an employee, I wasn't eligible anyway but it would have been cool to get it. Would have been a new GMC truck
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep33 View Post
I hit the pin earlier this year in a tournament we sponsored. I guess being an employee, I wasn't eligible anyway but it would have been cool to get it. Would have been a new GMC truck
That would have been cool.

Was the putting green being video taped or was their someone watching to verify a winner's claim?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
birch3x

Quote:
Thanks for the information.

That must have been awesome (from your dealership's perspective) to have two back-to-back "Hole in One" winners. I'm guessing it wasn't so awesome for the insurance company. (They'll have to write a lot of policies to cover those losses.)

Does American Hole In One require video proof of the hole in one or is there some other method they use to verify the winner's claim?
They need a measurement of the selected hole ahead of time and witness statements. It's a good promotion and Chrysler's PAP advertising funds reimburse for the insurance.
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #15
zep33

Quote:
That would have been cool.

Was the putting green being video taped or was their someone watching to verify a winner's claim?
There was someone there at the tee watching. He wasn't from our dealership so I'm not sure who he was. Maybe supplied by the course?
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote