Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Toyota/Lexus > Sales

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Toyota attempts to settle Sudden Acceleration Claims for $1.1 Billion

Toyota has agreed to pay $1.1 Billion to settle several class action lawsuits related to "sudden acceleration" claims. The settlement still needs to be approved by a Federal Judge. For more details, here's a link to a report from Reuters - click here

As I understand it, the settlement has several elements which include cash payments to some Toyota/Lexus owners, repairs/modifications made to some Toyota/Lexus vehicles, payments to various State AGs and at least $200 Million to attorneys for their expenses and fees.

Some experts are predicting that the large settlement and huge fees for the attorneys will lead to more of these lawsuits in the future. Time will tell....
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
lsx only

And it still amazes me this is not slowing the sales of toyota cars,there cars remind me of my deep freezer at home pratical but boring and plain as heck!!!!!
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
TheRealMcCoy

I've been very pleased to see how customers have been responding when I see them in our service drive for the recalls. They seem amazed that a manufacturer would continue to request that they come in for preventative maintenance even years down the road. XDCX, if you would like to have your mind changed about Toyotas being plain and boring check out the new FR-S. After recently selling my drift/autocross car I've had my mind successfully blown apart by how well that car drives. My job has become much more fun since the FR-S' arrival on our lot.
TheRealMcCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy View Post
I've been very pleased to see how customers have been responding when I see them in our service drive for the recalls. They seem amazed that a manufacturer would continue to request that they come in for preventative maintenance even years down the road.
Thanks for the information.

I agree that Toyota seems to have done a great job handling the whole sudden acceleration issue and I think it's mostly behind them and has not done significant damage to the brand.

Contrast Toyota's outcome to Audi's back in the days when the TV show 60 Minutes slaughtered Audi's image and sales in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy View Post
XDCX, if you would like to have your mind changed about Toyotas being plain and boring check out the new FR-S. After recently selling my drift/autocross car I've had my mind successfully blown apart by how well that car drives. My job has become much more fun since the FR-S' arrival on our lot.
Great point - I love the new FR-S and I'm starting to see more of them on the streets.

That said, I see the FR-S more as a vindication on the cool types of cars that Subaru can produce - not Toyota/Scion.

To be clear, I think it's great that Scion did a deal with Subaru to get the FR-S and I think it's great to rejuvenate the Scion brand. But when it comes time to credit an OEM for developing a great car, I tip my hat to Subaru.

In the real world, maybe it doesn't matter. Do the Scion customers know the FR-S is built by Subaru - do they even seem to care?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote