Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Service

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Chrysler issues six Recalls in one day

Chrysler made headlines earlier this week when they announced six different recalls covering a total of 247,000 vehicles. Here's a link to a USA Today report - click here

While I tend to be critical of some of Chrysler's decisions I think it was smart to batch the recall announcement. In this case one announcement detailing six different recalls is likely less damaging than six separate recall announcements.

I think a person could also argue that recall announcements don't seem to be as big a deal with the public as they've been in the past.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Adpros

Recalls have become a part of everyday life in the shop. Back when I was new to Chrysler we had recalls printed on plain paper and you would get maybe a couple every month at best. Now we seem to see new ones almost every other day. Our customers are so used to recalls they rarely are alarmed by the frequency. They are just glad we are addressing them before a catastrophe occurs.
Adpros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adpros View Post
Our customers are so used to recalls they rarely are alarmed by the frequency. They are just glad we are addressing them before a catastrophe occurs.
I agree 100%.

In the old days it seemed like a large number of recalls would severely damage a brand but that' no longer the case. While I'd concede that all of the recalls Toyota had two years ago damaged their brand, I think the extent of the damage is pretty minimal compared to what it would have been if the recalls had happened 20 years ago.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
chryslersrt8

Announcing multiple recalls in 1 day rather than over multiple days is a good marketing strategy. Bad news on news broadcast once a blue moon is far better than, "Chrysler is announcing another reall".
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Default Five Recalls announced just before the Fourth of July

It appears Chrysler continues to control/manipulate the news by issuing five recalls involving over 800,000 vehicles and releasing the information just before the close of business and before a major holiday. Think it's a coincidence - I don't.

Here's a link to the news report - click here

While I understand and agree with the concept of grouping recall announcements, I'm not a big fan of any company that tries to bury the news by timing the release of the information to coincide with a weekend or holiday.

On a different note, I thought it was interesting that Chrysler commented the problems with the microcontrollers may have been related to the constrained availability due to the earthquake in Japan. I'm guessing that their suppliers had to buy their microcontrollers from different vendors after the earthquake and the quality level of the new vendors didn't match what they were receiving from their Japanese vendors.