Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Introductions

Notices

Introductions Did you just join our community? Post here and introduce yourself – where do you work and what do you do?

Old 06-15-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Swcorp

Default Hello from Orange County Ca

Hey Guys, Thanks for having me on this forum. Excited to see whats new in our industry! Started my auto career at Autotrader magazine and got into selling cars shortly there after. I have three independent lots in Orange County and love this business!
Swcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
The StraightShooter

Good Stuff, Welcome to the forum!
The StraightShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Swcorp - Welcome to DealershipForum.

Sorry for my delay in approving your account. I took a few days off from the Internet and when I first saw your profile I thought you might have been from outside of our industry. Additionally, I have been openly critical of Chrysler's ownership and subsequent sale of their Motor Village of Los Angeles dealership and I tend to watch accounts generated from Southern California more carefully.

That said, it's great to have you here. Most of our members are New Car dealers but I'd love to hear how business is going for an independent dealer.

If I can ask, what price point are you selling most of your cars at?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
Swcorp

Thanks XDCX again for letting me join this forum. Our average line 7 is about 16500. Credit scores average about 680, We move about 125 units between our three locations. So whats going on with Chrysler's point?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
Swcorp

Sorry the question went right over my head!!! $16995 is my average advertise inventory.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swcorp View Post
Thanks XDCX again for letting me join this forum. Our average line 7 is about 16500. Credit scores average about 680, We move about 125 units between our three locations.
Thanks for the update. Your numbers are impressive - both in terms of selling price, credit scores and sales volume.

When I think of independent used car dealers I often think of the Buy Here/Pay Here operations that are selling cars in the $3,000 - $8,000 range so it's good to have a reminder that there are independent dealers who are selling a richer mix of vehicles.

I've read a number of reports over the past year that suggest that many of the OEMs are increasing their incentives and chasing market share. Are you finding it harder to compete with new car deals or are most of your customers interested in a used car only?

Quote:
So whats going on with Chrysler's point?
Chrysler ended up getting fined for $955K by the California New Motor Vehicle Board and they were forced to sell Motor Village of Los Angeles.

Chrysler sold the store to Dennis Lin from the New Century Automotive Group.

The issue seems to have died down but I still think there are Chrysler Dealers in Southern California who fear that Chrysler is subsidizing the rent on the $30 Million Dealership which places their stores at a disadvantage. (Chrysler is still the landlord for the Dealership.)
Old 06-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
Swcorp

Yeah no bhph plan in our future, We've been lucky on the fact that our sub prime lenders are very aggressive on terms and finally reserve's are back! The later model stuff (rentals) hasn't really been our niche to make it happen every month, But the specialty stuff we get across the nations has been our bread and butter.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah no bhph plan in our future, We've been lucky on the fact that our sub prime lenders are very aggressive on terms and finally reserve's are back! The later model stuff (rentals) hasn't really been our niche to make it happen every month, But the specialty stuff we get across the nations has been our bread and butter.
Thanks for the update.

Sounds like an interesting business model - I like the idea that you're dealing with a richer mix of vehicles but you're not competing directly with the new car dealers by trying to sell rental returns. I remember back in 2007 and 2008 when the new car market was hot it was hard for some of the used car dealers to compete because the incentives and financing deals on new cars were so strong that it often allowed a new car dealer to sell a new car for a lower payment than a used rental return vehicle.

Additionally, Southern California seems like the perfect place to sell specialty vehicles like BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus, etc.