Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 08-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
tnpartsguy

Question Guidelines for staffing versus sales- Fixed Ops

Anyone have any ideals on what the staffing to sales guidelines are now? NADA, ect?
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Are you referring to metrics like "Repair Orders per Service Advisor" and "Parts sales per Counterman"?

I'm sure I've got Chrysler's guidelines from a few years ago - I'd have to do some digging. It would be interesting to see if the metrics have been updated to reflect advances in technology and increases in parts prices.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
steve_biegler

If you are a member of NADA, I believe they have some of those numbers. I recall we looked at them when I was in a 20 group.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default Here's a link to some Parts Department Benchmarks

I did a Google Search and found the following link which provides some Parts Department Benchmarks - click here

The data appears to be from 2008 so you'll have to adjust for inflation.

The NADA Benchmarks are $27K/person in a Domestic store and $30K/person for an Import store. Stores with an extensive wholesale operation should generate $75+K/person.

The other ratio I thought was interesting was "Tech to Counterman" - the benchmark is ten techs for every counterman.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #5
JoeRocket

I used to put a lot of stock in those guides, but there are so many other variables involved a guy can almost do as good of a job figuring it out himself.

A good variable example would be "layout". If you have two separate counters (front counter and back counter) that are on opposite sides of the parts department do you think that you can maintain the same counterman/customer ratio as the department that has everyone working across one counter? I know from experience that the single counter system is far more efficient than the dual counter system....especially if there's a good distance between front/rear counter. I understand why it's not popular, but you can do a whole lot more with less people that way.

Stuff like that makes you want to set fire to the NADA number when it doesn't pan out....lol. Especially if you work for someone with little imagination and lives by them.
JoeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRocket View Post
Especially if you work for someone with little imagination and lives by them.
I've had the same problem in the past - working for a boss who gets so hung up on the details that he/she loses focus on what's really important - the bottom line.

I think benchmarks are a valuable tool but they're not the gospel.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
dealer3100

thats how the public owned dealerships operate by benchmarks instead of outright performance..
dealer3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer3100 View Post
thats how the public owned dealerships operate by benchmarks instead of outright performance..
Great point - that's how a lot of the Factory Stores operate too.

Speaking of Factory Stores, does anyone have a sales update from Chrysler's $30 Million "test" in Los Angeles? I think I'll bump that thread and see if anyone has some comments.