Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > Northwest Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Courtesy Ford in Pousbo, WA closing after 30 years in business

I was surprised to read that Courtesy Ford in Poulsbo, WA is closing their dealership after being in business for 30 years. Here's a link to the news report - click here

For those who may not be familiar with the area, Poulsbo is in Western Washington. The city is geographically close to Seattle but it's separated by a large body of water (Puget Sound) requiring either a ferry ride or a 60 mile drive to the city. Although somewhat remote from Seattle, Poulsbo is close to the Bremerton Navy Shipyard and the Bangor Nuclear Submarine base - there are a lot of well paid blue collar employees that live and work near Poulsbo.

I also think it's surprising they couldn't find a buyer - especially since it's a Ford franchise and their facility is pretty modest.

I guess this is just another example that the car business remains challenging - especially for the dealers in rural markets.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
rd3311

Poulsbo was kind of a neat little town, lots of restraunts, brew pubs, and the famous Sligh's Bakery where the Poulsbo bread is made.

My wife and I used to go on weekends to Poulsbo while my oldest daughter was stroller aged and walk around the wharf area.

There may have been an issue with Ford wanting a new building or renovation to cause this to happen, or maybe local city government has some kind of "sector redevelopment requirements or re-zoning" could have made a sale tough based on potential sales revenue in the current economy.
rd3311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd3311 View Post
Poulsbo was kind of a neat little town, lots of restraunts, brew pubs, and the famous Sligh's Bakery where the Poulsbo bread is made.

My wife and I used to go on weekends to Poulsbo while my oldest daughter was stroller aged and walk around the wharf area.
I was thinking of you when I first read the newspaper report - I knew you were familiar with the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd3311 View Post
There may have been an issue with Ford wanting a new building or renovation to cause this to happen, or maybe local city government has some kind of "sector redevelopment requirements or re-zoning" could have made a sale tough based on potential sales revenue in the current economy.
Great point - there may be more to the story which explains why the current owners were not able to find a buyer.

It wasn't too many years ago that a store like this would have been a mini goldmine. A mid-sized store with a modest facility in a rural area that's within a 60 minutes of a major metropolitan market.

I also wonder if Ford has any two-tier pricing programs? There's a huge Ford dealer with a nearly new multi-million dollar facility just down the road in Bremerton. I wonder if the smaller Ford stores are on a level playing field with the larger Ford stores?
Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I'm really surprise Lithia didn't pick it up. It sounds like their type of market.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
I'm really surprise Lithia didn't pick it up. It sounds like their type of market.
I agree - that store would be a perfect fit for Lithia's business model.

It's funny you mention Lithia, I received an email from the broker who sold the Ford dealership in Klamath Falls to Lithia and he was curious where I was getting my information. Now you've got me thinking - this broker has already sold Lithia one closed-down Ford store, maybe he should try to put this deal together too.

I'll send him an email to make sure he sees this thread.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I agree - that store would be a perfect fit for Lithia's business model.

It's funny you mention Lithia, I received an email from the broker who sold the Ford dealership in Klamath Falls to Lithia and he was curious where I was getting my information. Now you've got me thinking - this broker has already sold Lithia one closed-down Ford store, maybe he should try to put this deal together too.

I'll send him an email to make sure he sees this thread.
SHACOS - I heard back from the broker and he's going to contact the Dealer Principal in Poulsbo and see if this store can be saved.

Maybe in the spirit of Good Karma, Sid will invite you back to Lithia so you can run the store. Then you and Don Jones could hang out together at the Ford Dealer Meetings.

It may not be the BMW store of your dreams but I bet a person could live a pretty nice lifestyle owning that store and living in that community.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
SHACOS
Super Moderator

HAHA! I assume you'll then qualify for some sort of finders fee?

I think I would consider running a store in the Seattle area. Just as long as it's not peddling Chrysler products. Unfortunately, only the new CFO at Lithia (my former boss) would probably recognize my name.

I hope something can go through, no matter who it is sold to.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
HAHA! I assume you'll then qualify for some sort of finders fee?
Hey, now there's an idea.....

Quote:
I think I would consider running a store in the Seattle area. Just as long as it's not peddling Chrysler products. Unfortunately, only the new CFO at Lithia (my former boss) would probably recognize my name.
What about the guy from Lithia who used to lurk the forum and read all of your posts at night just to make sure you weren't saying anything controversial. Is he still around?

On a different note, if the current CFO knows your name that's got to be a good thing.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Yes, but he works at another company now. It's funny because I was actually asked about my activity on the board. Just making sure I wasn't sharing any top secret selling secrets, I guess.