Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 03-31-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default "Text or Die" - Truth or Hyperbole?

I thought it was interesting that I received two different emails today regarding Dealerships and Text Messaging.

One email was from Automotive News promoting an upcoming Webinar about texting and the other was from Edmunds which included a portion of the email message to promote a "Text or Die — Texting Customers Is Critical!" seminar at their upcoming Digital Dealers Conference.
To me, "Text or Die" seems a bit overstated but I would be curious to hear the opinions of others as it relates to Text Messaging. Are your customers increasingly looking to communicate with your store via Text?

XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:34 AM   #2
zep33

I have a few long time wholesale customers that text me orders or questions. I like it because I don't have to immediately respond if I'm really busy like a phone call would require
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:50 AM   #3
79LilRedExpress

It's my opinion that any more than three texts in a row is a conversation...!
So call me
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
jbellx02

Default Text or Die

TRUTH. I believe that texting and e-mails was the basis for saving my GM Franchise in our 2009 Arbitration. My attorney was open to receive those communications 24/7. Anytime that something needed to be communicated, it was easy to relay and the receiver (my attorney) could read at his convenience. Copy and Paste became a way of life for me to pass along not only my thoughts but every person that was involved in the Auto Business.

Today, texting and messaging is my primary communication between my son (GM) and my business manager back at the dealership. We still talk on the phone frequently, but I have maintained the 24/7messaging from past experience.
jbellx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:02 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep33 View Post
I have a few long time wholesale customers that text me orders or questions. I like it because I don't have to immediately respond if I'm really busy like a phone call would require
I can see how a text message could be useful in that circumstance. It's less invasive than a phone call but more urgent than an email.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress View Post
It's my opinion that any more than three texts in a row is a conversation...!
So call me
I'm in this camp too.

I'm not anti-text but it does seem in some instances it would be faster/easier to communicate via voice.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbellx02 View Post
TRUTH. I believe that texting and e-mails was the basis for saving my GM Franchise in our 2009 Arbitration. My attorney was open to receive those communications 24/7. Anytime that something needed to be communicated, it was easy to relay and the receiver (my attorney) could read at his convenience. Copy and Paste became a way of life for me to pass along not only my thoughts but every person that was involved in the Auto Business.

Today, texting and messaging is my primary communication between my son (GM) and my business manager back at the dealership. We still talk on the phone frequently, but I have maintained the 24/7messaging from past experience.
Great comments.

I know when I was helping my parents sell their home in Seattle that the Real Estate Agent I used to assist with closing preferred text messages and it turned out to be a very efficient way to communicate.

In your case it's interesting to learn that you still use texting as your primary communication between your GM and Business Manager back at the store.

If I can ask, has your store received much demand from customers who want to communicate via text?
Old 04-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
jbellx02

Default Text or Die

In your case it's interesting to learn that you still use texting as your primary communication between your GM and Business Manager back at the store.

If I can ask, has your store received much demand from customers who want to communicate via text?

I use voice texting, fast and efficient for communications with my Managers. Simple messages that don't require an immediate reply. They can reply by text at their convenience. If there is a need to speak by phone, either party usually texts first ( Give me a call when available). Receiver then calls at their convenience.

Breakdown with customers and communication: Sales Only
Varies daily 10-20 % Cell Phone texting, Land phone 75-85%, 5% e-mails.
Service is Land Phone Only
jbellx02 is offline   Reply With Quote