Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Sales

Notices

Old 04-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default GM won't allow Dealers to look up incentives on vehicles that have active recalls

Automotive News reports that GM has placed an "incentive block" on in-stock vehicles that outstanding factory recalls. For a link to the full report - click here

The "incentive block" will prevent dealership personnel from looking up factory incentives on a vehicle that has an outstanding recall. The objective is to bring the outstanding recall to the attention of management so the vehicle can be repaired before it is sold.

For the most part the new process makes sense to me - especially given the bad PR General Motors has suffered over the past two years with their massive recall campaigns.

The only downside, in my view, would be the vehicles that have been recalled but GM is unable to provide parts. Does that mean the vehicles are effectively "grounded" or could a dealer sell the vehicle but then be subject to potential liability if the vehicle had an accident before the recall work was performed?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
tnpartsguy

Default Bravo!!

Thank goodness!

I'm in charge of getting stop sale vehicles to the grounded area, and since last year's recall hell, it's been a nightmare to get the sales manager to let me have vehicles and put them in the Stop Sale area, because they are afraid they might miss a sale. Now that GM has them blocked from incentives, maybe that will help with my job!!
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:05 AM   #3
zep33

I believe this will also be used to keep sales depts from dealer swapping vehicles with open recalls or required field actions.

There have been quite a few recalls without parts available this past year, and yes, the vehicle is supposed to just sit here until they become available
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:10 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep33 View Post
I believe this will also be used to keep sales depts from dealer swapping vehicles with open recalls or required field actions.
Interesting comment - I didn't even think of dealer trades. I know I'd be pissed if I learned we helped another dealer out by doing a trade so they could sell a car and then we get stuck with an unsellable vehicle.

One of my favorite expressions is: "No good deed goes unpunished" and I think it can apply to dealer trades if you're not careful.

Quote:
There have been quite a few recalls without parts available this past year, and yes, the vehicle is supposed to just sit here until they become available
I wonder if any of the OEMs have stepped up with flooring assistance for vehicles that are grounded/unsellable due to recall related parts delays?
Old 04-30-2015, 05:24 AM   #5
zep33

The bulletins usually list the per day allowance for vehicles with a stop sale on them. From the few I actually looked at, the amount was miniscule.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:52 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
The bulletins usually list the per day allowance for vehicles with a stop sale on them. From the few I actually looked at, the amount was miniscule.
Thanks for the information - it's good to know GM pays dealers when they ground a vehicle for a recall.

Concerning the amount, given the relatively low interest rates maybe the payment from GM is fair?

I'd be curious to know if all OEMs step up to reimburse flooring charges on grounded units or whether some are more fair than others?
Old 04-30-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
tnpartsguy

Default Recalls

The trick is to get an RO written ASAP when the stop sale is announced. The SUV's and higher priced pick-ups get nearly $4 a day, and even the Cruze was getting over $2 per day, and those things were parked for up to 5 months!!!
Old 05-07-2015, 08:19 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
....and even the Cruze was getting over $2 per day, and those things were parked for up to 5 months!!!
Holy smokes, are you saying that some of GM's cars were grounded for up to five months waiting for recall parts? If so, that's insane....
Old 05-07-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
tnpartsguy

We had about 12 Cruzes that were here over 5 months, including Enterprise and Hertz rentals. Took that long to get drive axles, and once they got here, GM did a double shipment so I have a pallet of axles I had to return.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #10
tnpartsguy

Most of the Cobalts were here 30+ days, the 1st ones that were dropped off and the customer cried that were unsafe to drive were here over 3 months....especially Saturds.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #11
zep33

We had an Enterprise car here for about 6 months last year
Old 05-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Most of the Cobalts were here 30+ days, the 1st ones that were dropped off and the customer cried that were unsafe to drive were here over 3 months....especially Saturds.
Quote:
We had an Enterprise car here for about 6 months last year
Are grounded units still an issue for most GM stores or do you think this is largely an issue that GM has solved and it's now "water under the bridge"?
Old 05-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #13
tnpartsguy

not as often, but occasionally, yes still a few units rarely.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
not as often, but occasionally, yes still a few units rarely.
Thanks for the update.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #15
tnpartsguy

Default LAMBDA Chassis

I currently have about 10 2016 LAMDA chassis (Buick Enclave, Chevy Traverse, and GMC Acadia) on stop sale for the wiper motor stop sale. I get 1 part in about every 3 days. We had 4 sold units we had to go get and put them in a rental until the parts came in. This Stop Sale is about 20 days in, so far.