Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > Midwest Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 04-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #16
keydiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
Growing up in the area, I remember the ever so classy Sundance Chevrolet ads. I'm sure they have remained pretty much the same? Haha.
Yeah they are pretty bad still, can't go anywhere with out hearing Terry Hanks blabbering like an idiot! It must work from him as he has made some big improvements to his facility above and beyond what GM required.
keydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #17
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keydiesel View Post
I don't know what is going on with it, I believe she lost the building in the bankruptcy, there has been some activity with it lately and I heard that a used car dealer was going in there.
Thanks for the update.

I'm really surprised that Hyundai hasn't back-filled that point. As we discussed in this thread it seems like a market the size of Lansing could definitely support a single-point Hyundai store.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #18
mryan55

I'm still of the thought that Lansing as a metro area is definitely Hyundai-friendly since there are many white collar import buyers... state government and Michigan State University and all...surprised this hasn't been filled yet!

Lansing even as Volvo, Porsche, and Audi points filled... Hyundai needs to come back to that market!
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #19
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
I'm still of the thought that Lansing as a metro area is definitely Hyundai-friendly since there are many white collar import buyers... state government and Michigan State University and all...surprised this hasn't been filled yet!

Lansing even as Volvo, Porsche, and Audi points filled... Hyundai needs to come back to that market!
I agree - part of me wonders if there's more to the story.

Taken at face value it seems like a "no-brianer" for Hyundai to reopen the point in Lansing but it hasn't happened yet. It also seems like there'd be a long list of dealers who would want to invest in that market with a Hyundai franchise.

My only guess is that Hyundai already has a dealer selected for that market and the dealer is just waiting to secure a location. If the dealer is hoping to buy the former Hyundai/Saturn facility and it's currently going through the bankruptcy process that might explain the delay.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:54 AM   #20
forestersg6

Hey, everyone. I realize this is an old post, but I've got some news reguarding this post.
First things first, as an employee of the Hyundai Delaership in Grand Ledge, (Hyundai of Lansing), I was sad to see it close. But as of 2 weeks ago, Suburban Hyundai of Lansing is open in the old Capitol Hummer Building on South Pennsylvania, in Lansing. All parts operations are handled through the Suburban Cadillac parts dept (Formerly Capitol Cadillac), and service is, for the moment working out of the cadillac dealership as well, though rumor has it the Hyundai service dept. will be open in the Hyundai building as of Monday.

The awesome thing is that a large chunk of the crew from Hyundai of Lansing is now at the new dealership, so dealing with service and sales will be pretty similar. Sadly, the Sales manager isn't the same, nor is the finance manager, but the Service manarer is the same, for now. We have one of the service advisors as well.

Sorry for the long-ish post. I was waiting close to a month to post this, as it took at least thatl ong to get my registration approved...
forestersg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #21
steve_biegler

GOOD LUCK! Glad most of your old crew is back. Wish you the best. Take good care of your customers and they will be back.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #22
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestersg6 View Post
Hey, everyone. I realize this is an old post, but I've got some news reguarding this post.
First things first, as an employee of the Hyundai Delaership in Grand Ledge, (Hyundai of Lansing), I was sad to see it close. But as of 2 weeks ago, Suburban Hyundai of Lansing is open in the old Capitol Hummer Building on South Pennsylvania, in Lansing. All parts operations are handled through the Suburban Cadillac parts dept (Formerly Capitol Cadillac), and service is, for the moment working out of the cadillac dealership as well, though rumor has it the Hyundai service dept. will be open in the Hyundai building as of Monday.

The awesome thing is that a large chunk of the crew from Hyundai of Lansing is now at the new dealership, so dealing with service and sales will be pretty similar. Sadly, the Sales manager isn't the same, nor is the finance manager, but the Service manarer is the same, for now. We have one of the service advisors as well.

Sorry for the long-ish post. I was waiting close to a month to post this, as it took at least thatl ong to get my registration approved...
Thanks for the update - it's interesting to hear that Hyundai once again has representation in the Lansing area.

While the nostalgic side of me would have liked to see Hyundai award the point to a hard working, first generation wealth, GM from one of their existing dealerships I realize that just doesn't happen too often anymore. It seems that almost all OEMs currently prefer to award new points to megadealers with deep pockets.

On a happier note, it's good to hear that a lot of the former Hyundai of Lansing employees are back working together again.

Thanks for the update and sorry for the delay in activating your account - that was my fault.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #23
XDCX
Administrator

Default Re-opening of Hyundai of Lansing makes the news

I noticed the local newspaper in Lansing recently ran a story about the re-opening of the Hyundai point. For the full story - click here

I'm still somewhat mystified why it took Hyundai 15 months to fill the point but perhaps there's more to the story than has been reported.

Concerning the Suburban Collection, they're apparently the largest Dealer Group in Michigan and also have stores in Florida and California.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:41 AM   #24
TNtech

Suburban Auto...isn't that the Trunk Monkey Commercial guys??
TNtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:33 PM   #25
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNtech View Post
Suburban Auto...isn't that the Trunk Monkey Commercial guys??
I remember the Trunk Monkey...

I'm almost certain that the Trunk Monkey was the brain child of an advertising agency and dealers could sign up to be the exclusive Trunk Monkey dealer in their market area. As memory serves, I think the CJDR dealer in Tacoma, WA was running their ads for awhile.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:56 PM   #26
57years

Funny you mention the TRUNK MONKEY today, my wife and I were talking as we were readying for work, how terrible the TV commercials are. She commented how there seem to be no chimps or monkeys used in commercials, only dogs and cats. We both started laughing when I mentioned the trunk monkey with the "TIRE IRON"!
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:54 AM   #27
steve_biegler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx6WB5YJia8

My favorite is the second one.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:23 AM   #28
Jeff Duvall

Suburban is owned by David Fischer and was gifted many of the terminated franchises in Michigan including the Mealey's Chrysler Jeep store in Troy. He was also Fund Raising Chairman of Mitt Romney's campaign in Michigan.
Jeff Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #29
mryan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Duvall View Post
Suburban is owned by David Fischer and was gifted many of the terminated franchises in Michigan including the Mealey's Chrysler Jeep store in Troy. He was also Fund Raising Chairman of Mitt Romney's campaign in Michigan.
Yes... the CJD franchises were nothing more than gifts. Suburban has done many good things for Michigan, although I am sour about what happened to Birmingham C-J in the Troy Motor Mall.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote