View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Dealerships that host Car Shows

As I mentioned in another thread, I attended a car show at a nearby Chevrolet Dealer over the weekend and it made me think about the ramifications a dealer faces when hosting a car show.

The car show I attended at Sands Chevrolet was very impressive - there must have been 200 - 250 cars onsite and at least 1,000 people on-property. The event was run by a local car club and 100% of the proceeds were being donated to a local charity.

I believe the cars on display were charged $25 - $40 to attend and people willing to donate $100 had their vehicles on display in the showroom. The cars were awesome - it was just as enjoyable as going to a Barrett-Jackson or Mecum Auction. (There were lots of high end Corvettes and Camaros, but non-GM cars were on display too. In fact, I had a chance to check out a Tesla Electric car that was pretty cool.)

From the dealership's perspective, the place was packed and they seemed to be working a number of car deals while I was in the showroom looking at cars. On the downside, however, it appeared the dealership moved all of their used cars offsite to accommodate the cars that were on display, and I'm guessing some new car customers may have been reluctant to visit the dealership because it was so crowded and was difficult to find parking.

So, that's the question - Is it a good business decision or a bad business decision for a dealership to host a car show?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote