View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
I thought the DEF was a good addition when it came out. On the GM and Ford trucks the horsepower & torque ratings increased, as well as real world mileage. If I understand correctly the hydrocarbons are being killed in the exhaust instead of choking down the motor with emission components; essentially freeing up the engine for increased power & mileage. Seemed like a no brainer to me, then again I'm not a diesel expert either and may not fully understand the concept.
I get the impression that DEF is actually the best solution to the diesel emissions standards too.

As I understand it, the Cummins engines that used particulate traps had to burn off the soot by adding extra fuel to the engine to generate more heat in the exhaust. Trucks that were used for heavy hauling/towing didn't require the "burn off" because they generated enough exhaust heat to keep the particulate traps from getting plugged with soot.

Apparently there are a fair number of Cummins owners who remove the particulate trap in an effort to improve fuel economy - something to think about when you take a Ram Truck in trade.

On a different note, one of the last times I was in the Automotive Section of a Walmart store I noticed they were selling two-gallon containers of DEF so there must be a lot of vehicles out there that require DEF.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote