View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
That said, as I recall I cut Marchionne some slack when he made that comment and compared it to a husband who knew he was going to divorce his wife but couldn't do it for two years - no sense in fueling the fire two years early.
Here's the post I made back in December of 2010:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
In my opinion there's no question that Chrysler needs their own captive if they're ever going to be a major player again. That said, it's largely a moot point since the Task Force gave GMAC/Ally exclusivity to Chrysler for three or four years.

Marchionne has said before that Chrysler doesn't need a captive and he doesn't think OEMs should rely on financing for profits. Frankly, I take everything Marchionne says with a HUGE grain of salt. My bet is he'd shoot Ally in the head if he thought he could make an extra buck.

To his credit, I can't fault Marchionne for his outward support of GMAC/Ally. There's no benefit to revealing his future plans for a captive finance company. It would be like a telling someone you're going to divorce your wife in three years - it might make for a rocky relationship.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote