View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
That said, I remain convinced there's a huge untapped market for a low priced small-size pickup like the first generation Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi (Ram 50) trucks.
I agree as well and I think this is how companies like Kia/Hyundai, Honda, VW, etc... can enter into the truck market. They don't need to build the biggest, most powerful trucks, but rather, they need to enter the small truck segment to get their feet wet, while also learning how to build trucks.

I have also thought that Honda, with its experience with ATVs, could make a nice, small pickup that has great off-road performance combined with real use for people that don't want or need a monster truck. Honda could then build from there; much like it did when it first entered the U.S. market with its small, economical cars.

I do have to wonder if we might see the rise of the small pickup again in this country. Right now, big 4X4 diesel trucks are the rage now, but I have to wonder when people might go back to small, "sporty" pickup trucks. Big 4X4 trucks were the rage in the 70s, but look what happened in the 80s. All of a sudden, the small "sporty" trucks became popular (especially with the Toyota truck in "Back to the Future". I have to wonder if that is the next progression of the truck.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote