View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #15
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
You make a valid point, when you look at the entire Chrysler brand it's mostly a fancy mainstream brand and not "near luxury."

It will be interesting to see what Marchionne does with the Chrysler brand. In many ways it would be strategic to position Chrysler as a "traditional luxury" brand and capture all of the customers Cadillac, Buick, Mercury and now Lincoln seem to have abandoned. The styling to the Chrysler 300 and the traditional RWD platform would appeal to these buyers.

Ironically, Chrysler's "urban" advertising strategy markets the vehicle to an entirely different demographic. In fact, Chrysler's advertising for the 300 probably makes the vehicle less attractive to the "traditional luxury" buyer.
To me, the 300 is the only vehicle from the Chrysler brand that has any semblance of luxury. However, having a base price in the mid 20s, doesn't make it seem like a luxury car. The Ford Taurus starts around the mid 20s and climbs all the way to the low 40s. How many other "luxury" flagships are priced competitively with large mainstream family sedans?

I really don't see the 200 and Town & Country as luxury or near luxury vehicles (even if Sergio and Auburn Hills scream it from the rooftops). So, what is the Chrysler brand really?

Regarding "traditonal" luxury, I think Lincoln tried that before and it didn't really work. With the headlight design of the 300 and 200, I don't think Auburn Hills is looking to the traditional luxury buyers either.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote