View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adastra View Post
I'm lucky to have an opportunity pop up again that I passed on years ago. Normal hours, good salary, part ownership, and I'm out with people, not tied to a desk. If I say yes, I would be closing up about this time next year.

Doesn't seem that many of the old guard of independents around town are holding out either... many are choosing to retire.
I don't know your situation or what this opportunity is, but when I read this part of your post, I immediately whispered "do it". Again, I don't know all the details, but it sounds like a much better deal, and it sounds like you might enjoy it more. I'm in the same situation in a job I really don't care for, but when an opportunity pops up for a different job, I feel my stress level go down and my outlook on life gets better. I felt that same feeling from reading your post.

The Ford dealer that I bought my 2003 Mustang Mach 1 from did what you mentioned in your last sentence. The owners were retirement age and the kids didn't get into the family business, so they decided to close up shop in 2011. They were one of the small, family-owned, rural independent dealerships and they decided it was time to hang it up. They all do something different in retirement now and I think they are really enjoying life.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote