View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #15
mr4t60e

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I know I'm probably beating a dead horse but in the real world does the requirement of a notarized signature on a vehicle title really reduce forgery or fraud?

As mr4t60e mentioned above he had his signature notarized and no one ever asked him for his ID.

And even if ID was required, what prevents the the criminal element from getting fake ID or falsifying a notary stamp?

Sorry for the rant but the whole notary requirement just seems like a waste of resources to me.
That was what I wondered myself. Michigan does not require any sort of notary service for title transfer, but I took the advice of the sell of the car I bought as cheap insurance against some dim-witted MI secretary of not allowing a transfer and requiring me to drive back to PA. Now I'm sure I look like an honest guy but if I were the notary, I think I'd be interested in making sure the ID matched the signature. Instead, the PA notary got all bent out of shape about issuing a transit tag with Michigan insurance because the policy declaration looked different than what they were used to seeing.
mr4t60e is offline   Reply With Quote