View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
mr4t60e

I once worked for a BMW/Land Rover/Jag/Mini/Buick dealership as a technician and when GM took the Buick franchise back, thus eliminating our service department, I was tentatively offered a position on the BMW side working on those cars, but it was rescinded once they found out they'd have to send me to New Jersey on their dime to get "certified" to do warranty work. I guess that suggests I failed the cost/benefit comparison, but I got the last laugh on that one. That is a story for another day.

Apparently their business model is to hire kids straight out of trade school who are balls-deep in student loan debt. About a third of the kids stick around, and it takes around 6 months to a year before the sharper ones really start to be productive. It is a tough business for anyone to get into, that is for sure...

As far as pay goes, they were doing OK over on the BMW side, but considering what the dealership charged per hour for labor rates ($125/hr) and the education required, it wasn't that great.

Last edited by mr4t60e; 03-08-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Clarity
mr4t60e is offline   Reply With Quote