View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I agree. In the past I think a lot of people bought a Toyotas (and Hondas for that matter) because it was a "safe" choice and they could rationalize their purchase with the testimonials provided by Consumer Reports.

Now both of those brands have lost some of their luster and in my opinion Consumer Reports isn't as relevant in an Internet-driven world.

In some ways I think a person could compare Toyota's current predicament to what Chevrolet faced in the early 70s.
I agree with this line of thought, but I have this funny feeling that Toyota is poised for a pretty big comeback. From what I've read on the Internet, Toyota is supposed to launch 19 new (or revised) products over the next 18 months. We'll have to see what comes about, but the Toyota and Lexus fans (and dealers) seem to be pretty upbeat about the future products.

The new Camry is supposedily doing very well as its sales increased 56% in January 2012 compared to January 2011. In fact, the new Camry is attracting younger buyers. This has resulted in lowering the average age of Camry buyers to a segment-low of 45. Apparently, the SE model is the reason for this drop according to Insideline:
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...parently-.html

If Toyota gets its quality reputation back to its normal level, introduces better performing vehicles, and brings out nicer looking designs, the industry might be in for a rude awakening. On top of this, Toyota's financials seem to be picking up from earlier last year. Toyota is not going anywhere. Detroit better not get arrogant with all this good news flying around.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote