View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
Great point on the halftime in America commercial. But, it's much easier to build a great product when you have a great product to start from.

Ford is getting there, but the others have a LONG way to go.
And that's the thing... how did BMW build a great product to begin with? What did they do differently to make it great from the very beginning when Detroit took four decades (or more) just to figure it out?

As far as I can tell, BMW never had to take bailout loans just to survive (unless that was during post WWII activities), nor did BMW need a Mercedes, FIAT or even Mitsubishi to come in and show them how to engineer a great car or how to run a profitable business. When you are buying a BMW, you are buying the German philosphy of "building superior products through hard work and pride". I know Detroit had that philosophy at the start of the auto industry where hard work and pride really meant something, but now... it should never have taken bankruptcy, the loss of brand image, and the destruction of peoples' lives to come out with "great products".

I do agree that Ford is getting there, and with a few exceptions, is my choice for a Detroit auto manufacturer that I wish to support.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote